Chapter 52

The door to Laura's bedroom creaked when she opened it. Bill and Stephen had been in her apartment for an hour, and the longer Stephen stayed the more anxious he got. It was time for him to go home and warn his people. For Laura, she needed Stephen gone from her apartment in case the two officers returned and caught her out in her lie.

She slipped inside the bedroom to see Bill lying on top of her bedclothes. The letters from his wife were unopened and cradled in his arms. She watched him for a moment; he looked so peaceful and she almost let him sleep longer. But Stephen couldn't get home without his help, and his story would not end on Earth, a prisoner like his friend.

Laura sat down beside Bill and rocked his shoulder.

'Hey. Time to go.'

Bill's eyes fluttered, then shot open. He grabbed her wrist. 'What the hell are you doing?'

Laura jerked her arm away, but he had a firm hold on her. Her chest tightened with fear. 'We have to go. Stephen needs to leave. I'm sorry. I had to wake you.'

Bill stared down at her wrist, then loosened his grip, allowing her to reclaim it. He looked away and stuffed the unopened letters into the inside pocket of his jacket. 'You shouldn't have let me sleep so long.'

Laura moved to the door, relieved to be beyond his reach. 'You were dead on your feet and you needed the sleep. I'll be outside.' She closed the door behind her.

When Bill emerged a few minutes later Stephen was already by the front door, his navy-blue suit wrinkle-free and buttoned, his black Stetson in one hand.

'Are you sure you can get me safe passage off Earth?' he said to Bill, fitting his hat on his head.

'I'll make damn sure it happens. I just need to make a quick call first. One of my contacts off the grid.' He narrowed his gaze at Stephen. 'I don't want to see you here again. You understand?'

Stephen's smile was fleeting. 'If I'm here it means I'm not safe.'

Bill dug his communication device out of his pocket and stuck the earpiece in his ear. Laura listened as he barked instructions to someone on the other end of the line.

'Are you sure it will work?... Yeah, yeah. Colin Stipple... It's a hot name right now. People are probably looking for him.' Bill looked at Stephen, then shot his gaze away. 'Yeah, something like that... Cheers, I owe you one.'

Laura slipped her jacket on and wrapped a scarf around her neck and head, making it into a hood of sorts.

Bill turned around and pulled his earpiece out. He took in Laura's appearance. 'And where the hell do you think you're going?'

She frowned at him. 'I'm coming with you.'

'I won't be responsible for another person going missing,' said Bill. Laura could tell he was serious.

'He's right, Laura,' said Stephen. 'I don't want you risking your life for me. It was Bill Taggart I needed to find and now I have.'

'Yeah?' She turned the collar up on her coat and felt around for the gel mask in her pocket. 'Well, the last time I checked, neither of you were responsible for me. If I hadn't seen the information on the micro file, you two wouldn't have learned as much as you did. And since you're both in my apartment, I'd say I'm very much involved.'

She didn't wait for a reply. She opened the door and walked out into the communal hall.

When they didn't follow, she turned back.

'Well, are you coming or not?'

Bill shook his head. 'You're one stubborn lady,' he said, walking past.

'You have no idea just how stubborn, Bill Taggart.'

She closed the door after Stephen and put on her gel mask. 'Now, let's get Stephen home.'