Chapter 24

Stephen stood beside Anton in the queue, keeping a close eye on the humans gathered around them. He barely moved an inch, eager to avoid accidental contact with anyone. Anton didn't seem as bothered as him. How could his friend be so calm while his skin crawled?

A short man in front talked to the tall man beside him. 'Definitely could have stayed for a lot longer, Gerry. Going home again is shit.'

'Yeah, I know what you mean, Freddy,' said the tall man. 'Guaranteed sunshine during daylight hours. The ability to breathe without wearing those stupid masks? Remind me why we're going back there?'

'If we don't, the gov'ment will track us down anyway and we'll never be able to return here. Let's not give them any reason to leave us behind—'

A man charged up the outside of the queue, knocking Freddy's arm as he passed. The officer ahead stopped him. Anton suddenly became agitated.

The short man grumbled. 'What the hell... Did you see that? He just pushed me. Someone thinks he's more important than the rest of us. Someone needs to teach him a lesson.'

An argument unfolded between the officer and the queue-cutting man. Stephen listened while Anton chewed on his thumb.

Freddy straightened up with a new interest. 'Oh, forget what I just said. Looks like there's a fight about to happen.' He tried to make himself taller. 'What's he saying now, Gerry? I can't hear 'em all the way up there. Crap, I wish we was closer.'

Even his taller friend looked to struggle to hear anything.

Anton helped him out. 'The man is telling the officer that he's not going to queue and he wants to pass now.' Stephen shot Anton an angry look.

Anton shrugged. Sorry, they were irritating me.

Freddy turned around. 'Er, thanks.' He gawked at Anton's appearance.

Gerry craned his neck towards the front. 'Looks like the kid's about to crap himself.'

Freddy twisted back around. 'What's happenin' Ger?'

'Ah, it's all over. The officer backed down already.'

'Without a fight? What a baby.' Freddy glanced at Anton again.

Stephen was about to scold Anton, when his friend's discomfort increased.

What is it?

I think I recognise him. Anton pointed to the man who argued with the officer. From the restaurant. He was sitting at the table by the window when I recorded those scenes for you. He looked at me twice.

Do you think he might recognise you now? said Stephen.

Anton shook his head. He didn't pay me much attention. Seemed distracted by something. Do you think he could be involved in the surveillance on us?

I'm sure of it. I thought little of it, but then I saw him sat in a café last week, when I first met with the child.

What's his name? Just as Anton asked the question, Officer Ridge answered it.

'Investigator William Taggart.'

Stephen committed the name to memory as the man moved away.