Chapter 12

Bill closed the video file and opened another, labelled Initial Examination of Species 31. It was recorded by Dr Frank Jameson, a bio-physician who had assessed the captured young Indigene male. According to his file, Dr Jameson worked for a World Government subsidiary on Earth called Bio Technologies. Bio Tech specialised in genetic manipulation therapy and disease control.

The doctor used a roving camera to record events through subject motion-tracking. While the laboratory's interior was sparse, Bill could see the New London-based laboratory used the most up-to-date equipment. The most recent request for high-spec equipment had been approved by Charles Deighton.

Dr Jameson looked into the camera as two colleagues entered the room. All three wore white boiler-suits over their civilian clothes. He flipped up the hood and pulled the drawstrings closed until it puckered around his face.

There was palpable excitement as Dr Jameson introduced Doctors White and Henshall. To the left was a small workstation where one of two assistants sat at a research monitor. A stainless-steel shelf ran almost the full length of the back wall. A large sink sat in the middle and took up almost a quarter of its length. To the right was a tray with various cutting tools, including a laser scalpel. Off to the side, Bill could see an airtight flexible membrane containment unit with an examination table inside.

Dr Jameson gestured at the unit. 'We control the unit's gaseous composition through our workstations. We can pass through safely without breaking the seal or compromising the atmospheric configuration inside. The membrane has tiny memory particles that scan our security chips to allow entry and exit from the unit. Mostly used for infection cases and detainees, today we will use the containment unit for both.'

A short while later, one assistant wheeled in the young male Indigene inside the containment unit. Dr Jameson entered first followed by the two doctors. The roving camera hovered above the examination table.

Dr Jameson spoke. 'Species 31 will remain sedated until we are ready to wake it. We haven't altered the gaseous composition inside the membrane, as it seems the alien can breathe our air. We can only conclude at this early stage it requires the same gaseous composition as humans to survive. We will wake the alien soon, but we don't know if it can understand us, or whether it speaks any language. How useful the information will be from Species 31 is anyone's guess.'

Bill examined the 3D body scan of the Indigene that accompanied the video. Physically, it looked like a human and its size compared to that of a twelve-year-old boy.

As the roving camera trained in on the young Indigene, a flicker of movement caught Bill's eye. It wasn't until the Indigene's breathing pattern changed—from long even breaths to short sporadic bursts—that the doctors also noticed.

Jameson turned to Dr White; the camera mirrored his movement. 'How much sedative did you give him?' White threw out some numbers and Jameson nodded. He spoke into the camera, but kept his eyes on the alien. 'What we have given to Species 31 is a dose designed for a human, but we can't be sure if it's too much or too little.' Jameson turned to Henshall. 'I think we should wake it.'

The female doctor prepared a syringe filled with liquid. The roving camera focused in on her and she explained. 'This solution will counteract the administered sedative.'

White monitored the young Indigene's heartbeat, which registered at thirty five beats per minute. It continued to breathe in uneven, short breaths.

Dr Henshall tied a piece of rubber around the upper part of the Indigene's arm and pulled it tight. She slapped the arm in several places.

'I can't find a vein.'

'Just use the same one as before,' said Jameson.

She examined the arm and pulled in an extra source of light to help. 'There's no evidence of the original entry point.'