Chapter 41

An exhausted Bill slogged through the public entrance of the Earth Security Centre and headed for the turbo lift at the far end of the foyer. He side-stepped the crowds of eager recruits gathered to hear the history of the building from trained guides. He squinted at the dazzling glass ceiling panels with reflective pigmentation that transformed the grey world outside into a blue wonder. The only thing on his mind was this debrief—and maybe his mishap on board the passenger ship.

He must command Gilchrist in the meeting; make her think he was still in control. Get the tone wrong and Gilchrist could stick him on traffic duty.

Isla spoke to him. You've got this, my love. Keep a cool head.

If he could convince Gilchrist that the mission could be salvaged, she might keep him on as lead investigator.

A blonde walking towards him caught his eye. Her guarded expression alarmed Bill and he raised his defences. Was she a distraction working for one of his enemies who wanted to nab him as soon as his back was turned? Bill hadn't planned on coming back to Earth this soon.

He matched her wary gaze but something about her told him she wasn't a distraction. Maybe it was her hurried step or the trace of fear that crossed her face. Or maybe he'd lost his edge.

He continued to watch the blonde. Then her eyes widened for the briefest of moments, just long enough for Bill to catch her hidden warning.