Chapter 9

Galen searched for his overseer inside the observation deck. Several domed sections made of high-density glass formed the roofline, giving the Air and Space Traffic Control Observation Deck the best three-sixty views of the city. And what a view that must have been in the old days. But all Galen saw was a broken city that went on for miles, choked by low-lying black and grey clouds.

Wall panels containing computer visualisation screens each displayed different images: space debris, planets in the solar system, and the area immediately above Earth. The almost-imperceptible beeps of fingers gliding over monitors at workstations became the only noise in the room. Maria and Paddy, two of Galen's colleagues, stood in front of the visualisation screens, and traversed the entire galaxy with a flick of their wrists.

With enough workstations for twenty people, just Maria, Paddy and two communication operatives were on duty today. Galen wondered if his overseer had deliberately limited his contact with other controllers. It was no secret his mother worked at the ESC.

Galen shook his head; his parents' paranoia was finally rubbing off on him.

The noise levels switched from quiet to loud when Stuart McWilliams burst out of his office. His overseer busied himself with Maria and Paddy at the wall panels. While Stuart was distracted, Galen used the opportunity to slip over to the workstation area and check the live monitors. It was a long shot, but maybe Stuart had left a memo open on one of the machines. If he found something that would satisfy his parents' curiosity, maybe could quit all this sneaking around.

His heart jack raced when he spotted an active screen. He moved closer and was about to read the document on screen when Stuart yelled at him.

'Galen, what the hell are you doing?'

Galen's face burned and he backed away from the screen. 'Nothing, Stuart. Just waiting for Paddy to finish, that's all.'

'Well, stop hovering. You're making me nervous.' Stuart shoved one hand into his pocket. The other twitched as if independent from his body.

Paddy left the panel area and marched over to the workstation area. 'About time, Galen. I've been waitin' for ya.'

Galen caught the Irishman's shudder as he left Stuart's side. It was common knowledge that Paddy and Stuart didn't get on.

Stuart was ambitious; Paddy, well, not so much.

Stuart interrupted Paddy. 'Don't swap over unless you're finished logging your report.'

'Yes, boss.' As soon as the overseer turned his back, Paddy gave him the finger.

Such different personalities, yet Galen enjoyed working with both men. He also admired his overseer's affinity for hard work and straight talk. His parents talked in so much code these days. Galen hoped to do Stuart's job one day.

'C'mon, boy,' said Paddy from one of the workstations. 'I'm gettin' weak with the hunger over here. Move your backside.'

'I'm coming. Relax.'

'Don't bloody tell me to relax. I'm not the one who's just had a nice twenty-four-hour rest at home. I'm dead on me feet. Come closer. I need to show ya somethin'.' He continued to log his report as he spoke.

Galen looked around to see Stuart had disappeared off the floor again.

'You look like you're huntin' for trouble today, lad.'

'No trouble,' said Galen. 'I'm just tired, that's all.'

Paddy barked a laugh. 'Yeah, tell me another story.'