Chapter 37

'Eleanor, love, it's so great to see you.' Jenny Waterson hugged her daughter as they sat down to dinner in a local Brisbane restaurant. 'How long has it been since we last caught up in person? I can't remember.'

'About two months now, I'd say.'

That couldn't be right. Jenny shook her head. 'I can't believe how quickly time is passing these days.'

'That job of yours has you working all sorts of hours. You look tired, Mum. When was the last time you took a proper break?'

Jenny browsed the digital menu set into the table. 'I don't know. When was Christmas?'

'Be serious.'

'Okay, about two months I guess. The last time we caught up, probably.' She sighed.

'How long are they giving you this time?'

Jenny hesitated before replying. 'A couple of days.' She braced herself for what usually came next when she talked about her job.

'See? That's what I'm talking about. Last time you were given a whole week off.'

'Look, love, I'm here to spend time with you, not talk about my work.' Jenny selected chicken teriyaki with Singapore noodles and a glass of red wine.

'I can't help it, Mum. The way they treat you. It's appalling. Maybe you should think about changing careers, working for people who actually show you more respect.'

Jenny stared at her. 'And do what? I know I'm only seventy-five, but I make good money there. The only thing I know how to do is work as a pilot. If I leave, I lose all privileges and start at the bottom.'

'The bottom's not so bad.' Eleanor looked at the menu.

'But you're only a third of the way through your life cycle. Just a baby. Plenty of years ahead of you yet. I'm no spring chicken.'

'And you're not down and out.' Eleanor huffed. 'Give yourself some credit. I can't pretend I like the way they treat you. You're nothing more than a commodity to them. It annoys me to even think about it, especially since you're the best pilot on their books.'

'You know how it works, love. It's my choice to stay and take their abuse.'

'Mum, you really frustrate me at times. That attitude is exactly why ​I changed from law to politics. I hate the way the World Government runs things.' She took a deep breath. 'But I'm still a qualified lawyer, so if you need someone to argue your case, you only have to ask.'

'Sure will, love.' Jenny touched the back of her neck. She hated arguing, especially with her daughter. 'I couldn't ask for a better lawyer. Just leave everything to me, love. I know what I'm doing. I'll be fine.'

'I wish there was something I could do for you.'

'There is. Keep me company while I enjoy my first break in months.'

Eleanor conceded. 'I guess I can do that.'

Jenny's communication device shrilled, loud and persistent. It was her employers, Calypso Couriers; they demanded she keep the device on her person and active.

Eleanor's eyes widened as Jenny touched the device. 'Don't you dare answer that.'

'I have to. It might be important.' Jenny connected her earpiece and ignored her daughter. 'Yes,' she said flatly. Eleanor mumbled something rude.

'All personnel are required to report for duty tomorrow morning. Deighton's orders,' said the voice at the other end.

'But you don't understand. I'm not due back until Mon—'

The line clicked dead. Jenny popped the device out of her ear and tossed it on the table. If she didn't show up the next day, she would be fired.

'I warned you not to answer it,' said Eleanor.

'Let's just enjoy tonight and forget about everything that's wrong with this world.'