Chapter 44

Laura led an uneasy Bill back to her apartment. He had no reason to trust her but the fact he'd come this far was encouraging. He hesitated when she motioned him inside. Who could blame him? For all he knew, Laura could be leading him into a trap. Once inside, she closed the door quickly to stop the investigator from changing his mind.

Bill seemed to relax as he looked around her apartment, which Laura knew was generous for Earth accommodation. 'How big is this place?'

'Big enough to have a separate bedroom, if that's what you mean,' she said.

He let out a low whistle. 'I've only read about apartments this size on Earth. You can get hold of these easy on Exilon 5, you know. You must be doing well to get this, considering you live alone.'

'I do okay. Job perk, I guess.' She frowned when Bill pulled an item no bigger than a rolling dice from his pocket and attached it magnetically to the front of her Light Box's hardware unit. 'What's that?'

'A sound interrupter. So we can talk in private.'

The idea put her at ease. 'I brought you here to meet someone. Before I bring him out, though, I need you to keep an open mind.'

'An open mind, for what?'

She called out to the empty space. 'It's okay. You can come out. It is just me, and I've brought Bill Taggart.'

The investigator tensed as the bedroom door creaked open.

A tall figure dressed in a blue suit emerged from the darkened room and took a single step towards them.

Laura heard Bill pull in a sharp breath beside her.

'Hello. I believe you already know who I am.' Her guest's wary gaze fixed on the investigator. 'I would like to formally introduce myself. My name is Stephen.'