Chapter 19

Bill gathered his surveillance team in the heart of no man's land, an area of rocky terrain that stretched between New London and New Copenhagen fifty miles away. The sky was a deep blue, speckled with tinges of purple and green. The occasional floating cloud gave him little protection across the red and gold-tinted stony landscape. The single road provided the only access in and out of New London. When more funding came through from the government, a dozen similar roads would be needed to turn the transport network into something sustainable.

He could hear the faint sound of wolves baying in the distance, on the hunt for an easy kill. The biodomes, on the borders of the six cities, housed a mix of resurrected animals such as predators, vegetarians and birds. The predators—lions, wolves, coyotes—often left the confines of the biodomes, but usually retreated to the one place where a meal was guaranteed.

Bill chose a spot five miles from New London's city limits, knowing that predators only ventured out a mile, maybe two at most, where food was most likely. By staying downwind of the biodomes, there was less risk of the animals picking up their scent. Out here, he could also avoid the ITF bugs that littered his apartment. What he had to say was off the record.

Seven people made up Bill's surveillance crew, including Caldwell and Page. He stood facing the group and directed his first question at the two officers who had disobeyed him.

'I need to understand why you went against my direct order not to move in.'

Page spoke first. 'We did exactly what we needed to do.'

'What the hell does that mean?'

'She means there was no danger to the overall mission,' said Caldwell. 'To get close to the alien, we made the call and moved in. It didn't see or recognise us, so I'm not sure what the problem is.'

Bill pinched the bridge of his nose. 'Are you sure about that? Page was right there, part of the walking group that passed by the alien and the boy. We know little about this alien but we now know it can run fast. What other abilities might it have? Excellent sight, hearing? Maybe you weren't as covert as you thought.' His eyes scanned the length of the group. Everybody stood at military ease, eyes forward. Except for Page and Caldwell, who looked at Bill.

'We had to make our move before the alien left. You were taking too long,' said Page.

'Would you like to hear what I think?' Bill didn't wait for an answer. 'It seemed pretty obvious to me that the Indigene knew exactly who you were, Page. That was made clear when you moved in a second time and sent it running. You then took chase and lost track of it. If I have this wrong, please interrupt.'

'We didn't lose it,' said Caldwell. 'We know exactly where it went. Into the Maglev station at New Victoria. We tracked it all the way.'

Bill looked the stocky military man in the eye. 'But did you catch it?'

'No, but—'

'Then, you lost it.' He clapped his hands together making Officer Page jump.

The rest of the group stayed silent.

'No offence, Taggart, but Special Ops was never a right fit for this mission,' said Caldwell. 'This is pursuit and catch, plain and simple. Deighton understands and that's what we're all trained for. We did everything we could to catch our subject. I don't see how you being there could have changed the outcome.'

Bill felt his cheeks get hot.

Page interrupted. 'Officers Wilson and Garrett followed the alien as far as the westbound platform, but it was gone by the time they got there. A follow-up search of the tunnels turned up nothing. We think it may have exited from another station, further down the line.'