Chapter 38

That week in work, and given the despicable things she knew about her employers, Laura made an extra effort to hide her feelings. Any attempt she made to talk to the woman from booth sixteen backfired. Sixteen pretended not to know her. Chris and Janine were no longer people she could rely on. She had no idea how to do this, to pretend that everything was normal.

How had she come to be on Sixteen's radar? She'd barely spoken to the woman and yet Laura had somehow attracted her attention. Okay, she'd been more enthusiastic than her colleagues, but still... Her move to Level Five was supposed to improve her chances of transferring to Exilon 5, not involve her in some conspiracy. But for all her complaining, she couldn't forget what she'd seen on the micro file. Her needs paled in comparison to those of the Indigenes.

Sixteen's actions had pushed Laura down a path of lies and experiments, and truths about the real origin of the Indigenes. And no matter what she tried, she couldn't erase the words and images from her mind.

Then there was Isla Taggart. Laura had opened the already-open envelopes to find her letters were written in code. It was a photo on the micro file of Isla talking to one of the Indigenes that had compelled her to open them after she'd promised herself to leave them alone. In one shot, Isla Taggart smiled at someone off camera. The picture had been stamped with the words: Destroy the evidence.

That was the best idea she'd had all day.

Destroy the evidence. She would pass the letters on to Bill Taggart, then burn the micro file. But could she destroy the file now that she knew what evidence it contained? She wasn't even sure why she still had it. Maybe she hoped that all of this was a sick joke to break in the new girl.

No, this was something else.

The easiest thing would be to forget everything. But that would make her no better than the people she worked for.