Chapter 25

Bill boarded the craft that held just twenty other World Government employees. He recognised none of them. Not surprising, since his job kept him on the move.

He could barely tolerate people anyway, so fine by him.

Bill slipped into an available seat and pulled the restraints tight across his body, remembering how rough the ten minute journey could get.

The craft ascended into the sky, assisted by magnetic polarisation, and passed through the planet's shield to reach the passenger ship orbiting fifty miles above it. The ship measured a mile high from base to tip and two miles long; a tubular core ran through its length. Circumnavigating the core was a trio of wheel-like structures, attached via interconnecting tubes or "spokes". From his last trip, Bill knew the wheels housed the sleeping pods, while the tubular core kept the passengers and the ship's crew separate. The entire structure carried an electrical charge and did not need propellants to navigate it, although each ship carried a standard amount of fuel just in case. Powered by a Faster Than Light drive, the ship rode the slipstream between planets and harnessed their natural magnetic fields to navigate a path home. Solar wind power enhanced its top surfing speed and facilitated the two-week travel time.

The spacecraft docked inside the main hold of the ship. Bill disembarked with the others and waited in line while his dwindling energy pushed and pulled at him. All he wanted were two things: an easy registration process and a bed.

There were two sleeping options on board: Dormant or Active. Actives stayed in sleeping quarters in the rim of one of the wheel-like structures. Dormants were placed in suspended stasis in sleeping pods for the entire trip. The onboard computer monitored their vitals throughout the entire journey, then at the end, it revived them with an anti-stasis serum containing a large dose of multivitamins and a barely legal dose of Actigen. Bill had no plans to give up his freedom to a bunch of machines and a cocktail of drugs.

An attractive female officer waited up ahead as the high-level officials formed a queue. She hummed a tune as she ran a finger down a list. 'Not too many on board, I see. We're already off to a good start.' She smiled at the waiting group. Her gentle face and warm eyes won over the all-male group. 'Looks like I got the easy list. I'm assuming everybody has been on-board a passenger ship before?'

They nodded.

'Good. But I should run through everything once more. Protocol.' Looking up from her DPad, she launched into the rules and regulations from memory.

'The journey takes two weeks. There are two accommodation options available to you. Option one, you can stay in normal mode, during which you will be provided with sleeping quarters and have access to a stocked kitchen. You will be charged for your stay and board. Option two, you can avail of one of our sleeping pods. You will be sedated and sleep-suspended until you arrive at your destination. You will not need sustenance during your animated suspension, but you will be administered with a nutrient pack upon revival. The cost of option two is less than option one. All expenses will be recorded on your identity chip and the information stored at the World Government headquarters until payment has been recouped. Is everyone clear?' The group nodded again. 'Now, I need you to line up on the left-hand side, and when you reach me, please state your accommodation requirements.'

Bill kept his eyes on the attractive officer as he moved forward. When it was his turn, he placed his thumb on the DPad and said, 'Option one. Sleeping quarters.'

'That's what I would have picked too.' The registration officer smiled at him and for a moment Bill forgot himself and smiled back.

He heard Isla's voice. I might have to keep my eye on her. Looks like I'm not the only one vying for your attention.

Bill pushed down his guilt; nobody could ever replace his wife. He felt himself sway.

'Are you all right, sir?' The officer placed a hand on his arm.

'Yes, I'm fine. Just need sleep.' He felt like a stupid schoolboy with a crush.

The officer smiled again and nodded. 'Don't worry about it, sir. It's more common than you think. The journey can be a little disorientating. A little rest and you'll feel right as rain in no time.' She let released him and gestured for him to pass.

The sleeping quarters he'd been assigned held a dozen individually sized units set against the wall. Bill punched in a code for one of them, climbed in, closed over the side-flap and locked it. The accommodation was no bigger than a coffin, but aside from his fear of being under someone else's control, he had to prepare for his debriefing with Gilchrist. The only things he had with him were his clothes, some personal items and his recollection of yesterday's events.

He tried not to think about what would happen when he got to Earth. Would he be fired? That was a strong possibility. Would he be reassigned? Even more likely.

Sleep called to him and his head edged closer to the pillow.

As his eyes grew heavy, he vowed to find a way to return to Exilon 5 and continue in his search for Isla.