Chapter 47

'What a magnificent specimen he is,' said the woman called Gilchrist. Anton watched from his prison as she spoke with the man called Charles.

None of the three humans in the room were armed. If he could escape his containment unit, he could easily overpower them. Charles looked to be around Pierre's age, but less agile than the elder. He reached for the invisible barrier that surrounded the unit. It sparked and stung the tips of his fingers. He yanked his hand back.

'The unit is electrically charged,' said Charles. 'Apparently, electricity only slows you down. We're not sure why it doesn't kill you.'

Anton stood up straight, waited.

'The Indigenes have made great strides to understand our technology,' said Gilchrist. 'The replica identity chip used to gain access to the passenger ship was virtually identical to an original, right down to the wiring. I wonder if this second generation is cognitively more advanced than our original creations.'

Anton rushed the barrier. The electricity stung him again and he yowled. His foot slipped, but he righted himself in a flash.

'Look at him! See how he moves like that?' said Charles to the others. 'They were much more primitive in the beginning. Closer to our design, really. Time has allowed their abilities to develop naturally, and in such a short space of time, too. How advanced will the next generation be?' He clasped his hands together.

A strange mood filled the room. The female stepped closer. Anton assumed his usual hunting stance and dropped to all fours. He tried to read their minds, but the barrier jumbled his access to their thoughts.

Gilchrist's eyes grew large and she stopped in her advancement.

'See what he just did?' said Charles. 'They didn't do that when we first created them. Primitive animals. Brutes. Couldn't even talk. Over time, they've adapted, changed so much. I'm impressed by our species' adaptability.' The old man pointed at Anton. 'Now, if we can replicate that, we can regain control of our future.'