Chapter 30

Daphne Gilchrist sat alone in her glass-walled office on Level Seven. With the tint on the windows set to maximum, she leaned forward in her plush leather chair and looked at her monitor. A female doctor stationed on Exilon 5 showed her close-ups of a replicated identity chip, three times the size of a flat pinhead. Stellar wave technology enabled crisp and clear communication between Earth and Exilon 5.

'As you can see, Daphne, it is a highly advanced design.'

Daphne balked at the doctor's casual use of her first name.

'Please address me the right way, doctor. That's Ms Gilchrist to you.' She allowed Charles Deighton to use her first name, but that was only because he terrified her.

The doctor took the warning in her stride and Daphne seethed beneath her icy exterior. She enjoyed instilling fear, and somehow this female doctor she'd never met had rattled her. Women could be complicated, manipulative creatures. Men better understood her iron-fisted approach.

'If you looked at an original chip and a security chip side by side, you would see they both have an inbuilt communication thread so they can talk to each other.' The doctor tapped the active thread on the replica chip with a minuscule pointer. Daphne saw the thread squirm under the microscope as if it were alive. 'This replica is mirrored after an identity chip. The thread here is composed of nerve receptor molecules, which normally receive signals from a cell. The security chip's thread has the same molecular structure, except it has extra molecules called ligands that act as agonists. The agonists stimulate the receptor to send signal information, using the cells as a go-between.'

Daphne combed her fingers through her hair in an attempt to bury the disdain she felt for this woman. The doctor's dark hair was tied into a loose bun. Blue eyes that placed her high up the genetic transfer list complemented her oval face. She reminded Daphne of Isla Taggart.

'Shall I continue?'

Daphne waved her hand.

'The original and security chips will also work independently of each other. The identity chip is the first to be implanted at birth. The thread remains dormant until the recipient receives a security chip. Once that happens their connection is live. Equally, if you remove one, they both revert to their original state and can work as single units. But without two original chips present, they can't be activated together, as the unique connection no longer exists. Unfortunately, you need to activate a pair simultaneously to see if the connection has been severed.'

'Did the host try to leave the planet? Is that how the replicated chip was discovered?'

'No. Bob Harris presented with an infection yesterday.'

Naming her patient made the doctor too emotional. It was why Isla Taggart had failed. If only she'd left well enough alone.

Daphne shook away her thoughts and refocused on the doctor.

'Did he try to remove it?' she said.

'He said he didn't. The chip is developed out of his DNA and becomes part of his body, compatible in every way. Mostly, it remains inert. He said he hadn't tried tampering with it, either. Apart from yearly upgrades due to changes in his work status and living arrangements, he'd forgotten he even had it, until a month ago.' The doctor paused before continuing. 'He was in a lot of discomfort, poor guy. Didn't see it coming.'

There it was again: the emotional response.

'And?' Daphne tried to inject pace into the conversation.

'Well, the microchip is an integrated circuit device encased in a polymer compound. The compound is created by taking a DNA sample from a baby, then mixing it with the liquid solution. The identity chip is then inserted under the skin of the left thumb. As the human body grows, the chip adapts to the host. The silicone breaks down over time, releasing a compound that partially solidifies the saline, holding the chip in place. Over time, the DNA polymer and saline fuse, providing the final housing over the circuitry. It's entirely natural and identity chips never need replacing, just updating, which can be done with a simple tweak.'

Daphne had little time to spare for this call. To make things worse the doctor was in no hurry.

'The security chip is developed from a section of the identity chip. It's the DNA marker that makes them unique. If one or both chips were ever removed from a host, they wouldn't work in another human. They're worthless on the black market, but the public's general lack of knowledge keeps the market lucrative and their sale active.'

'So, it was stolen?'

'Yes, but it doesn't make sense to replace it with something else; the chip is tamper-proof and will eventually destroy itself if physically removed. Replacements shouldn't work. That's why this replication model is so amazing.' The doctor produced side-by-side images of an original and replicated chip. Daphne saw no difference.

'It even has a similar thread like the original one,' said the doctor. 'And it works. Can you believe it? Whoever designed this knows a lot about genetronics.'

'What about the replication? How was it discovered?'

'The replication is superb,' said the doctor. 'Aside from being able to attach itself to the host's DNA, it works as if it's the real chip. As I've already explained, the originals must be activated simultaneously to see the problem. Fortunately for us, Bob Harris has a rare condition.'

'How is that fortunate?'

'Bob has a super-charged immune system that rejects the presence of foreign matter. He will never get sick. Only a handful of humans have this affliction.'

'Knowing your area of expertise, Doctor, I assume you are in no position to brief me on genetic anomalies?'

The doctor's field training in scientific studies accredited her with the title of doctor and gave her assignment on Exilon 5.

'Actually, I'm more than qualified to advise you on the subject. I studied anatomy extensively before turning my attention purely to the sciences.'

Daphne waved her hand for the doctor to continue.

'His unique immune system means he's protected from the most aggressive medical conditions that still exist, rare as they are. The original chip bonded to his internal network because there was DNA present in the chip. When his DNA is removed from the equation, his system will recognise the object as foreign. That's what happened here. His body fought the invasion and turned it into an infectious mass because the chip had nowhere to go.'

'Is that how you found it?'

'His thumb had blown up to twice its normal size. I didn't notice the incision until I examined the area more closely.'

Daphne had heard enough. 'Your analogy has been helpful, Doctor. I'll be sure to pass on details of your cooperation to your superior.' She allowed the lie to surface. A damning report would follow. 'Out.'

With a flick of her index finger, the screen changed and a new face appeared.

'Did you hear everything, Charles?' She smiled. It was not something she did often, but she felt the need to adjust her personality for the CEO of the World Government.

Staring back was the one hundred and nineteen-year-old face of Charles Deighton. 'Yes. Exciting times ahead, don't you think? It appears our friends are more advanced than we've given them credit for.' His voice crackled with age.

Deighton's years had finally crept into his genetically treated face: his hair was full, but losing thickness; his skin had lost its elasticity and was sagging south. It was a degenerating larynx that gave the raspy sound to his speech. Although he'd been scheduled to have his larynx replaced, Deighton said the sound gave him a mysterious edge and he enjoyed being an enigma. Every time he spoke, Daphne fought the urge to clear her own throat.

'They've moved on technologically,' said Daphne. 'There's no doubt about that. And they're learning much faster than we originally expected. It also appears we may have a stowaway on board the passenger ship. The manifest flagged Bob Harris's name twenty minutes ago. How would you like us to proceed?'

'Nobody is to interfere!'

Daphne shifted back from her monitor. In a hurry, she forced another smile. 'Of course, Charles. I hadn't intended on sending out an order without clearing it with you first.'

Deighton regained composure and smiled. 'The ship won't be here for another twelve days. We'll send a special team to meet and greet our new friend upon arrival.'