Chapter 32

Stephen and Anton sat in the recreation room aboard the passenger ship. A brief orientation at the start of their journey, plus their own explorations, had shown them the massive layout of the ship. The recreation room was sparsely decorated, with tables and chairs huddled in a space twice the size of District Three's core. At busier times, Stephen guessed the place would be packed with people. He was relieved to find it quiet that evening.

Sitting was a way for them to blend in. At another table, two humans sat together and a third sat alone in a different section. In the presence of others they kept up the charade. Despite their best efforts to look like humans, the others kept their distance.

'Our outfits are drawing more attention than I'd like,' said Anton, quietly. He provided cover for Stephen while he injected a synthesised protein pack directly into his stomach cavity.

Stephen grabbed the edge of the table as a round of stomach cramps took hold—a nasty side-effect that Anton forgot to tell him about. He squeezed his eyes shut and concentrated on the pain to control it. But the presence of others in the room shot his concentration to hell. He straightened up halfway before the spasms doubled him back over. After a few moments, the pain began to plateau, but not before it delivered one final blow to his stomach.

'I'm sorry. The packs aren't designed for prolonged use,' said Anton, keeping one eye on the trio across the room. 'The first thing I'll do when we get back is correct the protein imbalance. I was under a little pressure before we left.'

Stephen groaned in response to a sharp pain that felt like it ripped his body in half. 'Don't worry about it, please. It will pass soon—' The pain cut him off.

Anton shook his head. 'I should have done more tests. It wasn't ready.'

Stephen sucked in air through gritted teeth. 'The alternative is starvation.'

Anton's head turned suddenly forcing Stephen to sit up straight. Two of the humans headed their way.

'Don't let them get too close,' said Stephen. 'They shouldn't study our appearance for too long.' His stomach muscles jerked again.

'Hey! What's wrong with your friend? You need a doc or somethin'?' Stephen recognised the short man, Freddy, from the queue earlier. And his taller friend.

They edged closer until just two table-lengths separated them. Anton stood. 'He's just feeling sick. He doesn't like to travel.'

Stephen groaned.

Both men stopped dead. The one called Freddy spoke again. 'Gerry here...' he elbowed his friend. 'He knows CPR and worked as a nurse for a stint. Didn't you, Gerry?'

'Eh, sure but—'

'Well, go and help him, will ya? Don't just stand there.'

'I'm not sure. I think he might need a real doctor or something.'

Freddy mumbled. 'Well, you can still take a look, can't ya? You're embarrassin' me.'

'Er, sure, I guess.' He took a hesitant step towards Stephen.

Anton looked ready to block his path.

'Hey!' Freddy looked from Stephen to Anton and back again. His friend stopped when he jabbed a finger in their direction. 'Weren't you two standing behind us in the queue for this rust-bucket?'

Gerry nodded and smiled. 'Oh, yeah, I think you're right. In the queue.'

The worst is coming, Anton, said Stephen. Get rid of them...

'I'm sorry, but my friend here is about to be sick, so unless you'd like to be covered in his stomach contents, I suggest you keep your distance.'

Freddy made a face and backed off; his friend wasn't far behind. 'Don't want to see no sick,' he said, holding up his hands. 'Can't stand the sight of anythin' oozing out of unnatural places.'

'Me neither,' said Gerry.

Freddy shot him an odd look. 'Whatcha talking about? You're trained for this kind of thing.'

'Only lasted a month at nursing school. Once we started the practical shit, I was out of there.'

The short man shook his head. 'Useless.'

Both turned around and headed for the exit. Apparently the talk of vomit was enough to move the remaining passenger.

Stephen felt the worst of it pass. He took a deep breath. 'That's better. How about we inject in private next time? They shouldn't have got that close. We need to keep under the radar more. Maybe we should ditch these hats back at our sleeping pods. And stick to only darkened areas from now on.'

With the room empty, they both dropped their human pretences and stood. 'Referring to them as humans will take some getting used to,' said Anton. 'What are we looking for when we get to Earth?'

'Answers, plain and simple. Something to explain how they exist, and why they want to destroy us.'

They walked back to their sleeping quarters. On the way, Anton asked, 'Why him?'

'Who?'

'You can't stand to be near any of them but you chose to meet the child called Ben Watson twice. Why?'

Stephen shrugged. 'I saw something in him that the others didn't possess. Innocence, perhaps. It was easier to be around him.' He stopped and leaned against the wall. 'I don't know, Anton. I don't know why I feel the way I do about him and not the others.'

'Could you be coming round to the idea that they're not all bad? I mean, you saved those men when they were suffocating.'

Stephen balled his fists. 'No. I let my guard down. It won't happen again.'