Chapter Twenty-Two

Scarlett sipped from her bottle of vodka as she watched one of the Lacrosse players set the bonfire alight. She wasn’t sure if it could actually be counted as a bonfire. It was a metal monument, covered in gasoline so that when the burned it, it would take the shape of a cyclone.

 As soon as it was alight, every person in the crowd started cheering, including Scarlett. The DJ started playing some catchy (as much as she hated to admit it) electronic music and the crowd around the bonfire dispersed a little so that everyone could gather around the speakers.

 Scarlett was feeling awkward. She was drinking but she was standing completely alone. She spun in a circle, trying desperately to find someone and spotted Malia. Scarlett grinned and ran up to her. Stiles had told her about how Malia had found out Peter being her dad and she hadn’t been answering any of her texts. As annoyingly blunt as Malia was, Scarlett kind of missed her.

 “Hey stranger!” Scarlett said, way too enthusiastically. “Fancy seeing you here.” The vodka was finally starting to get to her. Her vision wasn’t blurry and she didn’t feel incredibly nauseous but she was happier and giggly, finding it hard to think about anything in particular. Scarlett looked at the bottle of alcohol to see that she had drunken third of its contents already. And she was a little bit of a lightweight.

 Malia laughed and said, “You’re going to be smashed in the next hour if you don’t slow down, Scar.”

 “I know. That’s the point. There are too many thoughts in my head! Too many feels! I just wanna get drunk and not think.” Scarlett had to shout over the music. As she was speaking, she started to dance with Malia, just jumping up and down a little, shimmying every now and then. She wasn’t exactly grinding or twerking but she didn’t look horrible.

 “Then let’s not think together them.” Malia offered, holding out her flask for her to toast.

Scarlett tapped her bottle against Malia’s flask in agreement and they continued dancing together. They didn’t talk about Liam or Stiles or anything supernatural. Time seemed to slow down the more she drank. Her senses were still sharp but her brain had almost come to a complete standstill. Her insults weren’t on the top of their game either. Actually, they weren’t insults exactly, but whatever crossed her mind automatically came out of her mouth.

 “Urgh, the red headed stepchild looks like he’s about fall into the bonfire. And if he doesn’t I’ll just ‘accidently’ push him.”

 “The moustache on the police officer over there make him look like a child molester.”

 “I would totally tap that Dj but he looks kind of evil. Hot, but evil. And if I’ve learned anything from Derek it’s that a) we need to keep him away from anyone and everyone of the opposite gender and b) that if someone either looks too nice or too evil, they’re bad news. Because the last girl he screwed turned out to be a Darach. Don’t even bother asking me what that is because I don’t even fucking know.”

 See, not her best. Malia thought it was funny though. Either that or she was laughing at Scarlett’s inability to keep her eyes focused on one particular thing so that she looked like some kind of squirrel on Meth. In reality Scarlett was looking for the one person she had hoped to forget about.

 Malia was still laughing but her smile seemed to drop a little as she saw something behind Scarlett. “What is it?” Scarlett asked.