Chapter Seventeen

Kira was pacing, Scott was sitting on an old metal safe and Malia was lying on Stiles, asleep. Scarlett however was thinking. Her back was against the wall with her legs in front of her, crossed at the ankles. Stiles seemed to guess what she was thinking about. “What is it?” he asked.

Scarlett shook her head. “I was just thinking. Whatever this is- whatever you guys have- I can’t tell if it’s a virus or infection.

Everyone was listening now. “What makes you think that? How do you even know?” Scott asked.

Scarlett was still staring at her toes as she explained. “I think it’s a virus. But If it was a virus, it would be contagious. This isn’t contagious.”

“It could be a virus that only hits kids.” Stiles suggested.

She shook her head. “But Coach has it. And that wouldn’t make sense. Most of the people taking the PSAT’s are 16, 17, 18; too close to adulthood for a virus like this one to hit just children. This is an infection but I’ve never heard of any infection that has these kinds of symptoms. This infection or virus was made in a lab. Possibly a mutation of some other virus to make it harmful to supernaturals.”

“Are you saying, that this virus-infection- whatever this is- was made by someone to hurt us?” Kira stammered, her voice going higher due to panic.

Scarlett finally looked up from her shoes, staring Kira in the eyes. “No. I think someone made this to kill us. What I can’t figure out, is this a virus, an infection or both and how the assassin infected everyone.”

“It could be airborne.” Stiles said.

“No, it isn’t airborne. It would be too hard to make sure that everyone breathed the bacteria in, and to find someone to start the reaction. It would have to be something convenient. Easy...” Scarlett trailed off.

“I guess our little genius is losing her touch. We finally found a puzzle she can’t solve.” Stiles said sarcastically, playing off his exhaustion. Scarlett wasn’t paying attention.

“Coach.” She whispered.

Scott was the only one who heard but she kept talking before he could ask what she meant.

“Coach had the virus first. He was the Guinea pig. The clue to what made you all ill would have to be in Coach’s office. If I can find what kind of virus it is, maybe I can find an antidote.” She said hopefully, springing to her feet. She ran to the door and turned to Scott. “Let me out Scotty. I know how to find an antidote.”

“You need to stay here, Scar.” Scott answered apologetically. “We don’t know whether or not you’re immune yet. If you’re not, and you get this infection, you could hurt someone.”

Scarlett returned to where she was sitting before, slumped over. She had totally forgotten about that. “I still think it was the creepy administrator.” She muttered, before she stopped talking.

It was quiet for a few minutes before Stiles nodded towards the big safe in the middle of the room saying, “You know this is where it all started? That’s where the money was. $117million in bearer bonds.”

“How do even change Bearer Bonds into cash?” Kira asked Stiles.

“A bank, I guess. They just let it sit here the whole time collecting dust.” Stiles said bitterly. Kira sat back down next to Scott as Stiles continued talking. “Did you know that Bearer Bonds are practically extinct?”

“Why does it matter?” Kira said.

Stiles shook his head. “Do you know how many problems that money could solve?”