Chapter Nineteen

“Is that supposed to look like that?” Liam muttered, pointing to one of the security footages. Scarlett finally looked up from her phone to see what he was looking at. The camera set on roof had gone to static and said ‘no signal’. Scarlett put down her phone which was on a countdown and stood by Kira.

“Well,” she said, “If I was talking to you, I would say no. But of course, I’m not talking to you.”

Liam and Stiles looked at her, clearly frustrated with her.

“Where is that?” Kira asked.

“It’s the roof. Someone’s going to have to go and check that out.” Stiles answered.

“I’ll go.” She said as she turned around.

“Woah, woah!” Stiles cautioned. “This might not be just a malfunction.”

“I know. That’s why I’m bringing this.” Kira grabbed her sword showing it to Stiles, before turning around. Even though Scar was mad, she couldn’t help admiring Kira’s confidence. She was calm. Scarlett was the opposite. She might look moderately calm but her palms were sweaty and she felt like she was going to be sick. She couldn’t shake the feeling that if they didn’t make it back to revive Scott in time, before he dies, it was all her fault. This was her plan and she hadn’t done her research properly. So, if anything happened it was on her.

Scarlett snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Liam say, “I’m coming with you!” as he ran out the door after the kitsune. Scarlett’s eyes bugged out of their sockets. He couldn’t go with her. He wasn’t the best fighter yet and he could get seriously hurt.

“Okay, and you’re both coming right back!” she barely heard Stiles yell. “Kids.”

Scarlett didn’t think she just ran out of the room, ignoring Stiles protests. She saw Liam and Kira up ahead and shouted, “Liam! Hey, Liam, wait!”

He stopped and turned around and waited for her to catch up. She stopped running when she was about a metre away from him. She gulped, suddenly nervous before saying, “Look, if I was talking to you-“

“Which you’re still not.” He said.

“Right. If I was talking to you, I would tell you to… just, be careful.” Scarlett was having trouble looking into his eyes, her hands in the pockets of her jacket.

“Well, I’ll promise to be careful if you start talking to us again.” Liam bargained.

Scarlett nodded. “Deal.”

What she did next she really regretted. Scarlett reached forward and quickly kissed his cheek before tuning and running back to the room. It was like a reflex. She didn’t even need to think about it. His cheek had a hint of stubble and he had a fantastic jawline. The muscles were a bonus too. But that wasn’t important right now. Point is, she had done a coupley thing with someone who she wasn’t with, romantically. And I was hella awkward now.

She walked into the room and stood next to Stiles, simply saying, “I’m talking to you now.”

He snorted. “You act if that’s some kind of honour.”

“Because it is.”

“Is that so?”

Scarlett’s only response was to grunt affirmatively, still in shock at what she had just done.

“So, you going to tell me what’s going on with you two?”

Scarlett snapped up from where she had been slouching with her hands on the bed. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, Bilinski. There is absolutely nothing going on between Liam and I, romantically. It’s not like I’ve been feeling him up or anything. Nope. Not at all.” Scarlett was shaking her head profusely as she rambled and Stiles stared at her amused.