Chapter Twenty-Three

Scarlett was sitting in the boys locker room in the school when Kira called her. As soon as she had changed and made sure no one was around, Scarlett had come back. No one would expect her to be hiding at the school, let alone the boys locker room. She was sitting on the bench next to Liam’s locker, trying to block out the other disgusting smells and focus on his. He smelt like the woods and his cologne; it was absolutely intoxicating. It was helping distract her from what she had just done. She had killed someone and liked it. The look on her friend’s faces made her want to scream but she knew she couldn’t do that. So she just sat here, her knives by her side and stared ahead at the locker.

 Until Kira called. Scarlett had been ignoring everyone’s calls. She didn’t want to talk to anyone so she let the phone go to voice mail. That was, until she rang again, and again, and again and she was forced to pick up the phone.

 What?!”

 Kira sighed in relief. “Oh thank god! Scarlett, I need your help.”

 With what?” she asked suspiciously when she heard how nervous Kira was.

 “There are assassins chasing Brett and another kid from his pack at the school. I need to you to meet me there and help me protect them.”

 Scarlett held back a laugh. “You want me, to help you help Brett? The doucebag Devonford Prep player who’s friend I may or may not have punched in the face? That one?”

 “What? Why did you punch him in the face?”

 “He called me princess.” Scarlett said curtly.

 She heard a little exasperated “oh my god” through the phone and she smiled, remembering how satisfying it was to punch that idiot in the face. “Brett had a little girl with him, Scar. At least help her. Meet me at the school in ten.”

 And with that, Kira hung up the phone. She really couldn’t give two shits about Brett but if there was a little girl with him, she had to help. Scarlett sighed and tuned her hearing into every little noise in the school. Footsteps coming from behind the buses and another set approaching them. She could hear an arrow get loaded into the crossbow and then released. That’s when Scarlett started running down the halls to the exit closest to buses.

 As soon as Scarlett stepped outside, she was completely drenched. The rain was pouring so hard that it was weighing her eyelids down. She ran down the steps towards the sound of the grunting. She rounded a corner to see a large man holding a crossbow knock Brett to the ground. Brett looked up, eyes a golden yellow, ready to pounce but before he could, Scarlett used the hand that wasn’t holding her knives to slam his head against the side of the bus so hard he was out cold.

 Scarlett turned around to look at Brett whose eyes were flickering from her face to the deadly weapon in her hand. She remembered that the knives had been dipped in wolfsbane; he could probably smell it. “You?” he asked. “Aren’t you an assassin? Why did you save me?”

 Scarlett twirled the knives haphazardly and said, “Whatever gave you that idea Barry? And if you hadn’t noticed, there a two more circling in on us, so we should probably run.” Scarlett ran ahead of him in the direction of the little girl. Brett was only a few steps behind her. Scarlett rounded the corner to the Lacrosse field to see the little girl run straight onto the middle of the open area. “Lori wait!”

 Brett ran straight after her onto the field. Scarlett had her mouth open in shock. What an idiot. You don’t go running straight onto an open field where the group of deadly assassins had the perfect position to shoot you down. It was suicide. But Scarlett had promised Kira to help so she reluctantly ran after the two werewolves.