Chapter Twenty Four

Scott had taken Scarlett aside and explained to her everything that had happened when she was gone.

“So, I clock out for, what, twelve hours and Stiles is in the hospital for a concussion which he got when he got punched in the head by Brunski after he kidnapped him and my sister who is currently helping interrogate Meredith who is the benefactor. Are you serious?” Scarlett deadpanned. It was ridiculous. Not that much could happen in twelve hours.

Scott nodded, staying silent to let Scarlet process this information.

“Well, why didn’t you call me?” she yelled shrilly.

Scott winced then said, “I did call you. You didn’t answer.”

“Irrelevant.”

“How is that irrelevant?” Scott asked, obviously surprised at where this conversation was going.

“It just is, ok?” Scarlett said unreasonably, ignoring the shocked stares. “What about Malia? Did you tell her Stile was hurt? Oh I have to call my sister! And Liam?”

Scarlett faltered a little when she said his name and tried to cover it up. Scott caught it, though.

“Liam’s fine. Just a little shaken up. I took him home. And Malia doesn’t want to talk to Stiles.”

Scarlett decided not to respond to the part about Liam and said, “Malia would still want to know.”

She got up, patting her pockets to find her phone then walked into the back room. She smoothed down Lori’s hair as she walked past and responded to Brett’s glare by saying, “What’s got your panties in a twist, Barry?”

Brett look positively livid. “It’s Brett.”

“Still don’t care, Barry”

Before she slammed the door she heard a little growl from Brett. She smiled and thought well, you have to enjoy the little things in life.

Scarlett speed dialled Lydia and she picked up on the first ring.

“Scar?” Lydia sounded groggy.

“Hey,” she said softly, “I’m sorry. Did I wake you?”

Scarlett heard Lydia sit up in her chair. “No, no, it’s okay? Where have you been? Are you okay?”

“I’m safe.” Scarlett answered. She kicked some dog food that had fallen out of its package out of her way as she paced back and forth.

“I know. But are you okay?”

Scarlett smiled wanly. She hadn’t been okay in month. But there was no way she was going to admit that out loud. So she just said “Yeah, I’m okay. And are you okay? With Meredith and all.”

Lydia sighed. “Yeah. I just don’t get why she would do this. I mean, she wanted to help before, and now…”

The sisters paused for a moment. Lydia’s voice had taken on that frustrated tone she got when she couldn’t figure something out. It was something both of them had in common seeing as there was rarely something they couldn’t figure out.

“Is Stilinski letting you in to talk to her?”

“No.” Lydia huffed, “Both him and Parrish keep trying to get me to go home. I’m not going home until she talks, Scar. I can’t.”

“I know. You wouldn’t be Lydia if you didn’t.” Scarlet stopped. She knew what she wanted to ask but she didn’t know how to say it. But Lydia seemed to guess exactly what it was.