Chapter Twenty Seven

It had been so long since Scarlett had had sat on the bleachers like this. The last time had been during Lacrosse tryouts and she had watched the boys practise and spread out all across the field. Now, the Lacrosse field was bare. There was a gentle autumn breeze, not strong enough to blow her hat off, but strong enough to blow her hair out of her face so it wouldn’t get stuck in her lipstick or blow into her eyes.

Thinking back on it, Scarlett may have been a little harsh on Liam earlier. She just couldn’t stand his attitude and the way he spoke to Mason. A large part of it was also the fact that now she had basically admitted her feelings towards him, she felt a need to put that wall back up. She didn’t want to get hurt. She could handle school and the supernatural occurrences here in Beacon Hills. But she just couldn’t seem to handle Liam.

She hated the way she almost melted when she was around him; how when he touched her, she wasn’t as scared. Growing up watching her parents’ marriage fall apart had been enough to set her off love and commitment forever and she hated how Liam made her want to re-evaluate that.

Scarlett heard footsteps. The corner of her mouth lifted slightly when she saw Mason and remembered that he was one of the only people she had told about her liking it here. He cautiously climbed the stairs and sat down next to her.

“I’m not going to apologize.” Scarlett said.

Mason clasped his hands together and placed his elbows on his knees. “I wasn’t going to ask you to. He was being an ass and whatever is going on is affecting the two of you differently. He gets all arrogant and distracted. You get sarcastic and cranky.”

“Yeah, well, at least when I’m cranky, my insults are still awesome and witty. He was just acting like he had a ferret up his ass.”

Mason laughed a little. It took him a moment to respond but when he did, Scarlett was surprised. “You know, we all knew who you were before you even talked to us.” Mason smiled wider when he saw her startled look. “Yep. The beautiful, smart, confident, takes no shit from anyone Scarlett Martin. Garret and I couldn’t figure out why you were talking to us. Still can’t.”

“You wanna know why?” Scarlett asked. “Because you’re normal. You all understood my normal problems. I love my friends more than life, but I would have given anything to have someone consider the fact that I couldn’t find my Gucci purse a worldwide catastrophe. If I told Scott or any of the others that, they would have brushed it off and walked away. I wanted to be normal, Mase. More than anything.”

Mason and Scarlett were silent until she started talking again. “I can’t tell you anything right now Mason. But if you don’t end up finding out in the next couple of months, I promise I’ll tell you.”

For the second time in five minutes, Mason surprised her. “He really likes you, you know?”

“Unrequited love is a ridiculous state, and it makes those in it behave ridiculously.”

Mason rolled his eyes. “I’ve read that book so don’t try to pass that quote off as your own. And it’s not unrequited.”

“And how do you know that?” Scarlett inquired bitterly. There was no way she was getting out of this conversation.

“I see the way you look at him.” Mason said quietly. “And the way he looks at you. You have to do something about it, Scar. Before someone else comes along.”

Scarlett’s voice quivered with sorrow when she said, “I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because romantic love never lasts. Because, eventually, he’ll break my heart and I don’t think I can have anything else ripped away from me.”