Chapter Twenty Eight

Scarlett was ruffling through Scott’s wardrobe. They had to find something with a strong enough scent for Malia to follow to find Scott. Stiles was at the police station, trying to convince his dad to let them go to Mexico. They would go anyway whether the Sherriff said yes or not but Scarlett could understand why he wanted his dad’s permission. Stiles was going to meet her and Malia at Scott’s and they would drive to the meeting place together. Lydia had dropped Scarlett off at Scott’s house before going to the school to find something of Kira’s in her locker.

Scarlett was pushing the coat hangers aside so fast that one of Scott’s flannels fell to the floor. She grabbed it and threw it at Malia. “Try this.” She turned back around to try and find something with a stronger scent.

It only took a moment for Malia to sniff the shirt and say, “Fabric softener.”

Scarlett groaned and frustration. If that shirt smelled like fabric softener, than so did everything else. She swore to herself and looked around the room. Scarlett had been panicking so much now that she almost felt numb. As if she was so scared that it had reached its limit and her brain had shut down its capacity to fear. Now all she felt was a sense of dread and urgency. Her fear had made her more competent and in control than normal. Normally, she was just scared shitless.

Scarlett spotted the entrance to Scott’s bathroom and ran towards it, Malia following her. She went to the one place that would definitely have a strong scent: the wash basket. Scarlett quickly steeled herself, threw her hand in without looking and brought out the first thing she felt. Lucky for her, Scott’s underwear.

Scarlett extended her hand to Malia. As soon as Malia saw the pair of dirty boxers, her face morphed into a mix of a grimace and the look of a reluctant puppy dog. Scarlett’s head tilted to the side. “Remember, Scott’s life is on the line.” Scarlett waved the boxers again, urging Malia to take them. Instead, Malia turned and grabbed one of Scott’s pillows. She took a deep breath then turned to Scarlett and smiled victoriously. “Yeah, that works too.” Scarlett said. She didn’t even bother to put the boxers back in his wash basket, just chucking them behind her and following Malia out the door. Scott could consider that punishment for disappearing on her again.

“Stiles? You there?” Scarlett yelled into the seemingly empty house and she and Malia ran down the stairs.

Stiles didn’t directly answer Scarlett but she knew he was here. The girls rounded the corner to the kitchen to see Stiles standing there talking to Liam. “Ah, Liam, go home! You’re not coming with us.”

“Why not?”

Scarlett and Malia finally reached Stiles and they all started to walk in sync towards the front door. Scar had to agree with Stiles on this one. It was a full moon and he was going to lose control. No buts about it. “Because it’s a full moon, and I don’t really want to drive all the way down to Mexico just to have you rip my throat out.” The trio finally come to a rest, turning around to face Scott’s Beta.

“You can lock me up right? Chain me down in the backseat of something?”

Scarlett shook her head. “You tore through the last chains, remember?”

“Yeah. We’d have to freeze you in carbonite to get you down there.” Stiles said.

Liam obviously didn’t understand the reference and asked unsurely with a shrug of his shoulders, “Okay. Then where do we get… carbonite?”

Everyone was silent and Stiles stood there looking at Liam judgementally. “Seriously? You haven’t seen it either?” Scarlett coughed, not so discreetly. Stiles eyes widened as he looked at the younger Martin. “Scarlett?!”