Chapter Twenty - Nine

Scarlett stepped into the broken Church. She was surprised the others had waited for her.

“This way.” Peter beckoned quietly.

La Iglaesia gave the illusion of holiness and reverence. The entire building was filled with a blue light which came from three large tears in the ceiling, the shadows casted were more dramatic than outside. The earthquake had been so strong that it had pulled the pews from the floor and scattered them around the room. If you wanted to get to the front of the Church (thankfully not where they were going) you had to climb over the rubble which had all piled up in the walkway, making it almost impossible. The roof was domed, with large pillars and two separate walkways on the side which led to different doors and tunnels. As Peter led their group through on of the walkways towards one of the tunnel openings, Scarlett noticed that the crucifix, which had once stood tall and proud, was leaning haphazardly against the side of the Church.

Scarlett wasn’t religious at all, but she felt sorry for those who were, and used to pray here on a regular basis. Their God’s home had been destroyed by an Earthquake. A place where they worshipped and felt comfortable in was being used for much eviler reasons.

Peter was at the front as they ran down one of the secret tunnels. Scarlett was next, then Stiles, Malia then Liam. The tunnels were darker than the main Church but still washed in that blue light. There was what looked like ivy all over the walls, snaking around the abundant cracks in the stone.

“Stop, stop, stop!” Peter shouted, stopping abruptly. They had been running so fast that Scarlett ran into his back, the others doing the same to the person in front of him. Peter turned around, keeping his arms in front of him in a ‘stopping’ gesture. “We need to find out where we are, and then we need to figure out how to find Scott and Kira.” Peter turned back around too peer around one of the corners, but quickly turning back at the sound of a mobile ringing.

Scarlett spun around to see Stiles frantically trying to find his phone, pulling it out then looking at the caller ID. She looked over his shoulder and after seeing that it was his dad pulled back again. Stiles could handle that one by himself.

“How do I even have service?” Stiles muttered to himself before putting the phone to his ear taking a few steps away from the others. “Hi, dad.”

Peter turned around to look at the others. He looked vaguely offended as he gestured to Stiles questioningly.

“Okay, dad, I know you’re angry.”

“Oh, I’m beyond angry.” Sherriff said slowly, “I have reached a level of fury that you could not possibly comprehend.”

“Okay, when I get back you can ground me.” Stiles offered sheepishly. Scarlett grimaced. The Sherriff was going to do worse that ground his son.

“Ground  you? Ground you? I am going to hobble you!” There was a pause and the anger melted from his voice. “Now please, just tell me you’re alright. Tell me that you’re safe.”

You want me to lie?” Stiles asked. Stiles turned back to see Scarlett watching sadly.

Okay, well, tell me – tell me what I can do to help?”

“Lydia was at the school. We called Mason to look for her but now we’re not hearing back from either of them.” Stiles said. “I don’t know dad, I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m just trying to save my friends.”

“Okay, I’ll find Lydia and Mason.” Stilinski promised. Scarlett closed her eyes and leant back against the cold wall in relief. “You find Scott and Kira. You save your friends.”