Make Things Better

Kimberly's POV

"No." Maece rolled her eyes for what seemed like the thousandth time. I let out a frustrated sigh as she grabbed the black lace dress I was holding in my hands and then tossed it to a black haired woman in thick rimmed glasses.

Three hours ago, I'd asked Maece to help me find a dress. From the moment she'd grinned and said: 'I thought you'd never ask,' I should have known everything was bound to go south.

About forty minutes later,half a dozen people had come rushing into the house. There were dresses and black bags and hangers.... and I was in the center of everything.

"Mrs. Hastings." Another woman hurried towards me, holding a long grey dress in her hands. It was a plain dress with a low neckline. I opened my mouth to say something when Maece cut me off.

"What is this Parish? The fifties?" She raised an eyebrow. "I need the best you've got, okay? Not clothes from your grandmas closet." She smiled faintly and then let it fade. I watched the woman walk away,her face turning a bright shade of red.

"Maece!" I whispered once she was out of sight. "That was mean." I added slowly.

"Calm down Kimberly, its just business. She understands." She rubbed her temples and then sighed. Out of the corner of my eyes,I saw Paul walk past us,an amused expression on his face.

Just great.

When I'd climbed down for breakfast,I'd found out that Paul was in the house. It was like he was here to replace Keenan.... Or something. As usual,he'd been wearing his usual stiff demeanor, a bored expression on his face as he stood stiffly by the door but now, he almost looked happy watching me suffer.

Just then, the doorbell rang, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I'll get it." Maece chimed and almost immediately disappeared. Seconds later there were more people,more bags and more dresses.

It was all so ridiculous,I would have laughed if I wasn't in the center of everything.

If I wasn't terrified that Keenan would walk in to the sight in front of me.

"Oh My God,Kimberly Look at all these dresses!" Maece squealed half-walking-half-running towards me. "And shoes." She grinned. It was surprising how quickly the boredom had disappeared from her features. "You're definitely getting those Louboutins. Look at all those gems." Her eyes were wide open as she starred at a red bottomed silver Louboutin shoe.

Was she crazy?

"Maece-" I swallowed. I had to admit, the dresses were beautiful. So were the shoes and bags, but I'd be damned if I could afford any of it. When I said I wanted to find a dress,I'd meant going to the mall to find a beautiful dress at a reasonable price. "This is too much." I added. She looked at me for a second like I'd just said the most ridiculous thing on the planet.

"Too much?" She raised an eyebrow. "Kimberly, do you have any idea who you're married to?" She bit her lip unconsciously and then tucked a few strands of hair behind her ears. I knew she didn't mean anything by what she said but for some reason,her words hit deep.

Did I really have any idea who I was married to?

I opened my mouth to say something when a dress cut my eye. It was an armless silver dress with a sweetheart neckline. The top half of the dress was adorned with beautiful white stones till the waistline and then it flowed down in layers. I imagined it would stop somewhere mid-thigh which was pretty short but God, it was beautiful. I must have been pretty obvious because after a few seconds, a hands grabbed the dress and a dark red stilettos were approaching me.

"Mrs. Monroe." The smile on her face was kind, genuine maybe and I could swear I heard Maece gasp. "Would you like to try it on? We have it in blue,pink lavender,black and white." She added, glancing down at the dress for a second.

"Its beautiful." Maece said slowly,  tracing the fabric with her fingers and when she opened her mouth to speak again, I'd expected her to say something demanding like request for it in another colour. "With those shoes,Keen would not be able to take his eyes off you." She paused. "Or his hands." She whispered.

Kill me already.

I definitely wanted to try the dress.... But afterwards, what would happen?

How awkward would it be if I said I couldn't afford it?

Surely, I had some money in my back account but I was nowhere close to affording any of this. This.... this was crazy.

Do you have any idea who you're married to?

"Uhm-" I stammered, blinking a few times. "Actually-"

My words were cut off when a hand brushed past me, cutting me off mid-sentence. My eyes caught a glimpse of a black, leather Rolex wristwatch on his wrist as he stretched what appeared to be a black credit card to the woman in front of me.

"Your husbands orders, Mrs. Monroe." His voice was low so I was the only one who heard but still, my cheeks turned a deep shade of red. "Swipe it." He told her.

And as I watched her collect the card from his hands and hastily hand him the dress,reality set in.  I'd been far too comfortable being a Monroe, I'd actually forgotten that in the real world,I needed money. And I needed a job.

Keenan's POV.

Mum was here.

And I had to admit, things were much calmer now.

Jason left few minutes after mum arrived and Roxi left a while later. Now,it was just me and mum,and Andre. I stole one last glance in direction of the room and I watched mum pull Andre in for a hug. She was saying something to him and he was nodding, listening attentively.

Smiling faintly, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and then exhaled.

I was dying to know what was going on in Bahamas.... what she was doing.

Did she have breakfast already?

Of course she had.

What was she doing?

She had Maece so it couldn't possibly be that boring.

Was she thinking about me?

Fuck..

I pouted,tapping my phone nervously against my palm. I was usually very patient but God,I was drowning. I ran my fingers through my hair,composing a text to Paul with my free hand.

'What's she doing?'

Did I sound too desperate? Needy?

His reply came instantly.

'Dress shopping with Maece.'

I bit down on my lower lip, fighting the smile that fought its way to my face. She was buying a dress... For me?

I could get used to this.... having something to look forward to, having someone to go back to after a long,stressful day.

'Take care of everything' I texted back.

"Andre's moving into the mansion with me."

Even though I was technically a grown man,I tucked my phone into my pocket instantly at the sound of her voice,looking up as she walked towards me with Andre behind her. I glanced at Andre and he nodded stiffly, folding his hands behind him.

"Uh...O-Okay." I nodded. "I'll get going now." I said, giving Andre a pat on his shoulder. "Stay safe, Dre." I told him and then turned to mum. "Mum." I tipped my head sightly as I turned around to go.

"You should bring Kimberly over for dinner sometime." Mum spoke abruptly, causing me to halt. "That is, when you're less busy, of course. T-there's no pressure." She added almost immediately but there was a hint of sadness in her voice as she spoke.

"Okay ma." I muttered under my breath as I walked towards the door.

But we both knew she won't be seeing me for a long time.

Vote, comment, share.