The Talk

Kimberly's POV

"We need to talk."

I looked up from my laptop and then pulled off the huge dorky glasses I had on. Those were not my four favourite words. The last time I heard those words used together, I ended up as collateral to some rich Russian man she acquired a loan from. I bit my lip.

Two days had passed since the incident at the Monroe's party and this was the first sentence she had said to me.

"Good morning to you too Mum."
Anyone would sense the sarcasm in my voice, anyone but Gloria Hastings. She took that as a good sign and then grabbed the chair across mine.

"I'm really sorry about that night Kim." she started. "I'm sorry I let things get so out of control. But you have to admit, that was some fucking good wine." She smiled.

My mother was a con-man. She had lived two third of her life lying and deceiving people. Once, she had talked a senator into believing she was a surgeon who had worked with the CIA . The poor man had employed her, hoping she would in some way, help him fight this cancer he was trying to hide from his family for a longer period . Mum had injected him with water for two whole months. Took what he paid her, stole what she could... And then we ran
I was just sixteen back then but I ran like my life depended on it because it did. Sometimes, I couldn't tell when she was telling the truth from when she wasn't. But right now, the way she was grinning from ear to ear, even a fool would know she wasn't sorry.

I sighed.

"But I fixed it." She continued. "I fixed it all. We would never have to run again Kim." She grabbed my hand. I was so confused.

What had she done this time?

"We're gonna be rich, you would never want anything again, as long as you do what I-"

"No!" I snapped, cutting her off right in the middle of her sentence. I couldn't let her finish. I didn't want to. Her smile fell.

"You didn't even hear what I was going to say-" she started.

"I don't want to." I shut my laptop. "I don't want to do this anymore, mum. I am tired of running. When are you going to stop this? "

"This would be the last time, I promise you. If you just-"

"You said that last time." I brushed some loose strands of hair away from my face and then sighed. "You promised to change. I can't believe I fell for it."

Silence

"Mr. Monroe has agreed to help us." She said after a minute.  "I talked to him Kimmy. I told him about you, about your dreams. He is very interested in your future and so he has agreed to help us. " She continued." He'll pay off our debts, settle the bills, you could go back to college, become the doctor you've always wanted to be-"

"And why would he do that?" I faked a smile. "I'm sure it's not because he's some generous billionaire looking for ways to waste money."

"Like I said, Mr. Monroe is very interested in you." She started. I rolled my eyes but that didn't stop her from talking. "He wants to get to know you better. He just-" She paused. "Wants you." she finished.

I took a deep breath and then scoffed. My eyes stung. I exhaled.
I couldn't believe my ears but there was no way I was going to cry.

"I'm never going to be enough for you Mum, am I?" I stood up. She opened her mouth like she was going to say something but she didn't utter a single word. "I thought so too."

I made a move for the door and then halted. I turned to face her.
"Do you remember what I said to you when we moved here?" I exhaled. "I said that this would be the last time. Any more mistakes and you're on your own. That I wouldn't run with you anymore. Do you remember? "

Silence

"I meant it."
And then I walked away. She was never going to change.

I knew that now.