Together Forever

Kimberly's POV

I checked my phone for the umpteenth time. Still no calls or massages from Isabel. I wanted to call her so bad but she had said she needed some space. I was beginning to worry. Really worry . I had never seen her that way before. Even when I had told her I was moving away .We were sixteen then and she was mad as hell but she showed up at my doorstep the next morning grinning and said "together forever".
Izzy lost her parents when she was three. She was raised in an orphanage and she ran away when she was twelve. I have no idea how we became so close but if there was one thing I was sure of, I couldn't live without her in my life right now.
I stared at the girl in the mirror and then drew in a deep breath. If Izzy was here right now, breath taking was what she would say. But she wasn't. I reached for the box and then opened it. I got out the ring and drew in a deep breath. I stared down at it for a moment before I slid it into my finger.

I was officially engaged.

The doorbell rang. I looked down at my wristwatch.
Seven PM.

I reached for the doorknob and then pulled it open. Paul.

Damn, he was punctual.

He stared at me for a while, his eyes saying "You clean up well."

"Miss Hastings." He said after a moment of silence.

"Let me get my bag. I'll be right back. "I cut him off, unsure of what he was going to say next. He nodded. "Please come in." I extended the opening of the door. "If you want." I added. I saw a hidden smile cross his face and then he walked in.

"I'll be right back." I walked into my room.

Ruby's POV

"Welcome" The Butler greeted me with a kind smile almost as soon as he pulled the door open. I offered him a small smile as I let my gaze run through the house. My jaw dropped. Everything about the house screamed wealth. My eyes moved from the silver chandeliers that hung above the room, the white walls, the white Persian rugs, and then the sunpan Bugatti grain leather sofas. The curtains were dark, giving the sitting room a cozy mixture of black and white. Paintings adored the walls. A smile of recognition crossed my face when I recognized one of them.

Duo Stulti.

I remembered it from the exhibition party.

"Oh, for the love of God Ruby, you don't have to look so awestruck. You've seen better." Mothers' voice pulled me out of my fantasy.
"And I've always told you, square your shoulders." She continued. "You don't want people to think you're deformed." She continued. The sight of the doorman roll his eyes as he helped her out of her coat brought a smile to my face.

"Hear something funny Ruby?" She shot me a sharp look. My smile faded.

"No mother." I lowered my gaze.

"Good." She cleared her throat.

Eleanor Kent although she didn't know it, was the most intimidating woman on the planet. A three time winner of "Miss America". she had married her college boyfriend, Martin Kent. From what I heard, Dad wasn't much when they met but as most people say, behind every successful man is a beautiful woman.

Together, they had built an empire and we lived as one happy family until their divorce last year.

I missed him so much and despite how much mother pretended not to care, I know she did too. The divorce came as a shock to the both of us and it literally tore her apart.
The doorman shot me an apologetic look as he helped me out of my coat. I faked a smile and then inhaled.