The Show Must Go On

The Show Must Go On

*Get ready for a longer author's note*

Empty spaces, what are we living for?

Abandoned places, I guess we know the score

On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for?

You stood in the center of the Wakandan palace room. You had no clue what it was for, but you knew that it held many memories with T'Challa and Shuri. It was an important room to them, and now it held no life but yours. And you were leaving soon. The palace was nearly empty, which terrified you, but Steve and Nat insisted that you go home with them. Back to New York. It was their home, not yours, as you were native to Wakanda.

You missed your best friends. Shuri and T'Challa were two of your best friends, and when you found out they got turned into dust... you're pretty sure you're out of tears at this point. You looked around the room, sweeping with your eyes, at all the details in the carvings and the beauty. This room had a significance at one point, but now it just held screams of disappearing people. Your people.

Another hero, another mindless crime

Behind the curtain, in the pantomime

Hold the line, does anybody want to take it anymore?

"(Y/N)?" You turned around from where you were standing, and saw Steve standing in the doorway. His face was down, and he looked...empty. But he wasn't the only one. "We're leaving soon." With that, he turned and left the room. You understood that this meant that you had to wrap up your good byes and leave. As you left, you could already hear commotion of people breaking in and stealing priceless artifacts from their own palace.

The jet wasn't far, but you took one of the longer routes there so you could be in the palace you partially grew up in for a little bit longer, even if it's just one measly minute. The high tech palace would be ravaged, torn apart, and mourned in many ways, and you weren't going to be there for any of it.

Finally the exit was about twenty feet in front of you, and this meant this was your final minutes in your home. You had to be strong for the team. They were all suffering so much, you knew you had to be the light in their darkness, they'd be depending on you.

The show must go on

The show must go on

Inside my heart is breaking

My makeup may be flaking

But my smile still stays on

As you walked out of the palace you gave out a small smile to everyone. Only Natasha was able to give you a weak attempt at one in return. Bruce was in the jet already, most likely beating himself up, Thor was sitting a seat down from him, looking down at his hands with disgust almost, Steve had just lost two of his close friends, Rhodey had lost Tony and Sam, and then there was the poor raccoon that was all alone among people he didn't know. Everyone was hurting, and Wanda was probably a huge reason. Watching Vision die twice...

Okoye was there for you and offered you a hug. "You will be okay," she whispered to you. You took in a shaky breath and let go of the hug and looked at her.

"So will you," you returned. You gave each other one last smile before you walked away and got onto the jet. You opted to sit by yourself in the corner, closest to the pilot. Everyone else came in and Steve got ready to fly the jet back to New York. Away from your home, back to theirs. They needed it, but what about you?

Nonetheless, your smile stayed on, even if it was light.

Whatever happens, I'll leave it all to chance