What If...

What If... Steve Went to Vormir?

When it was time to divvy up who was going where to retrieve which stones, you and Steve ended up volunteering to go to Vormir. You'd never been to space before, having opted out of the mission to get Thanos all those years ago.

Plus, you and Steve were best friends, probably the closest pair on the team. You saw the look Nebula had when the two of you volunteered to go there (well, Steve did and you immediately followed in suit). It was instinct to ask her why, but you figured it was because that's where Thanos had killed her sister.

Which just brought up another question: why did he do that?

You didn't ever get to ask, though. The mission was here before you realized and you were heading off with Steve to Vormir.

"You ready for this?" you asked, nudging his side. It was somewhat playful, but it was only to mask how scared you were. The last attempt against Thanos wasn't the most successful.

He looked down at you and smiled. "Are you?" Instead of answering, you smirked and turned to look out the window of the spaceship. Space was truly beautiful.

Getting dropped of at Vormir was easy. The trek to the big tall mountain where the two of you assumed the the stone was being held was another thing. There was water and what looked like sand everywhere.

The journey was mostly silent, too much weighing on both of your shoulders to be making jokes. The stone was right there. Victory was getting steps closer.

At the mountain, the two of you walked up side by side, weapons up in case there was any hostile. "Steven. Son of Sarah and Joseph. (Y/n). Child of (Y/p/n) and (Y/p/n). Welcome to Vormir."

The voice came from pitch blackness until a figure finally floated forward and revealed itself to be...

"Holy shit," you said, your jaw dropping in shock.

Steve had a very similar expression on his face. He had told you all about the 'Red Skull' and how they had their confrontation and fight in the 40s. According to the story, he grabbed the Tesseract and just disappeared, assumed dead.

Apparently not.

"How are you still alive?" Steve asked, his 'Captain' voice coming out.

As the Red Skull came forward, you glanced down and noted he was floating toward the two of you. Yeah, he's been through it since his last encounter with Steve. "The Tesseract did not kill me, merely transported me to a new world. Here, I ended up as the guardian of the Soul Stone."

"So you have it?" you asked, taking a small step forward. "We need that stone."

A pause. "I'm afraid it doesn't work like that," Red Skull said. "You must sacrifice the one you love to get the stone. A soul for a soul. It is the only way."

The world stilled as the words sunk in. Your first thought was Nebula, and how she knew this but didn't say anything about it. Just that her sister died here. If you had actually talked to her about it, would she even have told you the truth? Or did she have an ulterior motive all along?

Steve pulled you out of your trance by grabbing a hold of your elbow and pulling you along. It took a second to regain full control, and when you did you noticed the Red Skull was leading the two of you somewhere.

"This is where the sacrifice must take place," he said. You looked at him, then to Steve, and then down.

It was a big drop, that's for sure. "This is where..." you trailed off. You both knew what this was. Someone had to fall to their death in order to get the stone. A low scoff came out of your mouth, drawing Steve's attention. "A soul for a soul."