Chapter 30: A Little Distance

“Moving out? Why? Where?!” I sat up in bed, pushing the stray messy hairs out of my face. This was definitely news to me. Of course I wasn’t expecting him to stay forever, but I at least thought he was going to be here until college.

We fell into a routine, sleeping side by side, driving each other to school, hanging out after school, doing homework together… We were always with each other, now it felt as if the rug was pulled out from under me. In simple terms, it was going to be… weird.

“My aunt and your mom think we shouldn’t live together. We’re getting more serious now and they want things to slow down a bit. We have our whole life ahead of us.” I pouted at his words, thinking how long it will be until we actually have freedom. Not until after college surely. Oh I hope to God we will last, no matter where we go.

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my forehead, then rested his cheek on the top of my head. “I know you’re upset sweetheart. I’m upset too. But I see their point. I mean I can’t take my hands off you, babe,” He rested his hands on my hips and I could feel his smirk against my hair. Even though I didn’t want to, I smiled too, laughing a bit. “And for the where, I’m seriously not far. Aunt Selena found a nice house nearby, maybe twenty minutes at the most. But I’m still going to school here… We’ll be fine,” He tugged me closer, his hands resting on the small of my back.

“Okay,” I whispered against his soft naked shoulder. “When are you moving?”

“Tomorrow,” He answered, pulling away from me,. I felt my heart leap into my mouth as the word hit the room with unusual heaviness. “We’re packing today.”

“You’re packing today?” The sentence felt odd on my tongue. It was just hard to think that the day I have been trying my hardest not to think about, the day that I have been dreading is finally here… And it has to happen after all that went on these past few weeks.

He nods, his eyes falling down to the bed. “I’m going to miss this,” He whispered, running his fingers along the bedspread.

“Miss what?”

“Waking up next to you every morning,” He continued to whisper as if we were in a crowded room and those words were only for us to hear. But in a way, they were. He then raised his hand to stroke my cheek bone with his knuckles. “I’m going to miss this face being the first thing I wake up to.”

It felt so bittersweet to hear these things coming from his mouth. They were so heartwarming, yet at the same time, the situation we were in, dampened the mood.

“Believe me, I’m going to miss this too.” In that moment, all I wanted to do was grab him and never let him go. And that’s what I did, I grabbed him by his shoulders, and pulled him down on top of me so his head was resting next to mine but his body was laying on top.

And that’s how we stayed, the only noise filling the room being our breathing.