Chapter 2: You Bring Out The Worst In Me (X)

First, second, and third period flew by in a breeze. I had at least one friend in each period which made the class go by that much faster. At least I didn’t have any classes with Dylan so that was a plus.

You must be wondering why I hate Dylan so much. Well, besides the fact that he’s an inconsiderate, arrogant, stuck-up snob, he also used to be my best friend. Oh did I forget to mention that to you? Oh well, I guess it must of slipped my mind.

So, why would my best friend check me out like I was hamburger? Why would he flirt with me to no end? Why aren’t we acting like normal best friends? Why would the whole Quad ogle over him except for me? And why would I hate his guts so much that the feeling was sometimes too much to handle? To answer your questions, something must have not caught your attention. He used to be my best friend. We used to be an inseparable pair from kindergarten to sophomore year. He wasn’t always a player, he wasn’t always an asshole, he actually used to be sweet and caring… until he broke my heart. Yep, I, a little sophomore, was falling for my best friend and hard.

Flashback

Ding Dong! The doorbell’s shrill noise rang throughout my house until I skidded to a stop to open it.

“Could you have rang it any more times?” I laughed, ushering my best friend Dylan into my home.

“Uh-huh, yeah,” He nodded absent mindedly. He had a pained expression on his face and my heart panged at the thought. It hurt me to see him look so upset. I wanted to be more than just his best friend, I was falling for him and I think everyone knew it, except for him of course.

“What’s the matter?” I frowned, leading him upstairs so we could talk in private.

“We need to talk,” He said simply.

“About what?” I asked confused, sitting down on my bed. He didn’t move an inch past my door frame, and he was looking down at the floor. “You can come sit you know,” I patted the spot next to me, but he shook his head quickly.

“I better not, it will only take a few minutes,” He said looking at me, but not in my eyes.

“Okay?” I tried to smile but failed miserably. My stomach was twisting into knots and I hated the feeling.

“Um, look, we can’t be best friends anymore,” He started. I felt my heart crack as soon as the words left his mouth.

“What? Why not?” I asked confused. I felt the tears threaten to spill over but I blinked rapidly to push them away.

“Cause I don’t want to be,” He snapped, looking towards the door. “It’s better off we’re not, I’m sorry.” I saw pain flicker across his face and disappear as quickly as it came. He walked out quickly causing my heart to shatter completely. Tears were rolling down my cheeks and I chucked a pillow at my wall causing a couple picture frames to fall and shatter, kind of like my heart at the moment. I let out a scream and sobbed onto my bed. The door flew open and in came Amber and Ryder with panicked expression on their faces.

“What happened?!” Amber exclaimed, rushing to my side.

“I will kill him,” Ryder mumbled under his breath, pulling me onto his lap.

Flashback Over

I blinked back the tears that were on their way of spilling over as I spun my combination into my locker. I could not still be hurting over his rough departure two years ago, but here I was, trying to fight back the tears. I’ve always had the Quad in my life, so when he left, they were right there to pick up the pieces. Plus, with the help of my sister and brother, I slowly became myself again. So why were my friends calling Dylan hot right in front of me? Well, in order to get over him, I had to forget about our relationship and I told them to talk about him as if he was just some hot dude, even though in reality, he was much more to me than that. But not anymore, nope, I’m over and done with him. Now he’s just another little prissy.