Chapter 4: My Bear (X)

Chapter 4: My Bear

“We’re on our way,” Nicole immediately responded.

“Bring some clothes for me, xoxo” I replied. I climbed down the ladder and crawled through the small door, making sure I locked it. The coast was clear so I walked hastily to my bedroom and dashed inside.

My room was colored gray and purple. Three walls were gray while the wall behind my bed was purple. Its theme was Paris because it had always been my dream to visit there one day.

I closed the door, flopping down on my bed and burying my face in my pillows. I didn’t even have a chance to think before a knock on my door sounded.

“Who is it?” I called, my voice muffled.

“Your mother, I’m coming in,” My mom’s name was Christina Padley; she had brown hair like me that she kept straightened mostly every day. She was forty-two and she was truly a beautiful woman.

 My dad’s name was Mathew, but everyone called him Matt. He was the same age as my mom, and they were both high-ranked surgeons, which is why we have a high income. They were both really laid-back parents, which I’ve always enjoyed. They’ve always cared and been there for me and my brother and sister, but they weren’t on our backs like most parents.

“I’m going to take Janie and Joe out to the movies, alright?” She sat down on the bed causing the bed to dip under her weight.

“Sure,” I nodded my head in response.

“I heard what happened before,” She put her hand on my thigh to try to comfort me. “I am so sorry. His mom was telling me about the situation, and I just had to offer. I know the history you two had, but please try to push it aside for the most part, because he will be living here for some time.”

“I know that. I don’t blame you. I mean it was a surprise and then to know everyone knew about it except me makes it that much harder.” I explained.

“I understand, and I am sorry. We didn’t know how you would take it, but we are truly sorry,” She smiled a weak smile, pushing a piece of hair that fell on my face behind my ear. “I love you honey.”

“I love you too.” She pulled me into a tight hug and then walked out of my room leaving me to get ready. Turning around to start getting ready, I stopped short as a little bear sat proudly in the corner. That was his bear.

Flashback

“I don’t want you to go,” I whispered, nuzzling my face into his neck. Today was the first day of summer after second grade and Dylan and his family were going on a summer long vacation. They came over our house before they had to leave so that Dylan and I could say our goodbyes.

“I brought you this,” He said, letting go of me to go to his car. He brought back a small teddy bear. I gasped at the sight of the bear that he was holding out for me to take.

“But this is the bear that you sleep with every night!” I exclaimed, surprised that he would give me such a precious thing. His grandma gave it to him a couple days before she died.  I stared at the bear, slowly taking it from him.

“I know, I want you to have it,” He smiled sheepishly.

“Hold on one second,” I held up my pointer finger and dashed upstairs, the teddy bear in my arms. I grabbed my favorite bear that I had trouble sleeping without and brought it back downstairs. It was Pooh bear from the earlier version when all he had was a green scarf around his neck. It was a pretty decent size, not too big, but not too small. I ran outside to see him waiting for me and I held out the bear. His eyes widened with shock because I have never let anyone touch him.