Chapter 19: You're Anything But Innocent

Chapter 19: You’re Anything But Innocent

Our school has three spirit weeks, one leading up to Halloween, one leading up to Christmas, and the last is leading up to the last day. Since this weekend happens to be Halloween, the first spirit week is well in progress.

 Monday was Jersey Day, and being Dylan’s girlfriend, I wore his, like the many other girlfriends that had boyfriends on sports teams. Tuesday was Neon day and I wore a cute bright green shirt. Today was Wednesday, twin day. I was twins with Nicole, Emma, and Emily, just like every other year. We wore a red scarf and a grey long sleeve shirt. We had on black leggings and black combat boots. We all braided our hair to the side, and all had on red lipstick. All in all, I think we looked pretty cute.

Yesterday was the mandatory dance practice with our team, and honestly, it wasn’t that bad. We ran all our dances, made a few changes, and then we were set free. But John made it well known that the next practice we miss, we would get conditioning. I rolled my eyes when he said that; we’re teenagers for crying out loud! Our weekends are supposed to be made up of fun but for that little gesture, I had to “drop” and give him fifty. I love him but sometimes he could be a real pain in the ass.

“Hey babe, you ready?” Dylan wrapped his arms around my waist, and laid his cheek on my shoulder so that he was facing the outside rather than my neck.

“Yeah, give me a moment,” I responded, finishing up cleaning my locker and putting my necessary books in my book bag. Neither of us had the time to go buy a Halloween Costume for the big party that was going to be held at my house. It was tradition that the Halloween Party was held at my house and we go full out. Costumes, candy buckets, decorations, strobe lights, haunted trails through the forest by our house, fog, crazy people running around, we have it all. It was one of the most “looked forward to” parties of the year, and it was all going to happen this weekend.

My brother already ordered the fog machine, the strobe lights, and even called a few people who agreed to help us out with dressing up and running around the trails scaring people. Tomorrow we were going to run to the store to grab all types of candy and last minute decorations.

I shifted slightly and hung my backpack over my free shoulder. I patted Dylan’s cheek and said, “Come on, I’m ready.”

“Cool,” He grabbed my hand and entwined our fingers as we passed everyone on our way out. “What do you want to be?”

“No clue, I want to be a witch for school though and then something different for the party,” I explained, already trying to figure out my weekend. Friday or the actual day of Halloween in spirit week was the day where everyone would come in costumes; some people go full out and wear their actual Halloween costume. One year, a girl was a kissing booth and she wore the box to school and everything. I usually wear jeans and a shirt and some accessories. I was a fairy freshman year, pajama girl sophomore year, and a princess junior year. I just wore wings for the fairy, my pajamas obviously, and a crown for the princess. This year I was just planning on wearing a witch hat and a black shirt.

“I have no idea what I want to be either,” He agreed, shaking his head.

“This should be fun,” I sarcastically remarked, hopping onto his motorcycle.

“Tons.”

***

“Nina, I am going to murder you, pick a costume already,” He groaned, following me around the costume store. We have been in here for an hour and neither one of us has successfully picked a costume. You could say that Dylan is a little bit pissed.

“Oh shut up Dylan, you’re in the same boat as I am,” I chastised, walking up and down the aisle for what must have been the hundredth time.

“What about this?” He showed me a costume and I stared at him shock. The girl on the cover that modelled the costume had on a bra and underwear and fishnet tights. I had no idea what she was even supposed to be.