Messenger

I gasped awake as I felt icy cold water splash over my head, drenching me. I winced at the bright lights and my pounding headache. The room seemed to spin and tilt.

"Wakey wakey, Princess." A voice grumbled from directly in front of me. I tried to move my arms, just to find them tied down. I was sitting in a heavy wooden chair and my arms and legs were strapped down with thick metal shackles and there was a rough piece of cloth wrapped around my head as a gag. I struggled for a moment before looking around to get my bearings. I was in a basement, I could tell from the stairs to my right and the cement floors. But that was the least of my worries. Stiles stood at the foot of the stairs, staring at me in shock and an older man stood beside him, smirking at me. To my left two people were hanging from the ceiling by stripped power cords, their mouths gagged. One of them I recognized from my chemistry class. Erica. Beside them stood a large box with knobs that ran wires connected to their bindings.

"Thank you for joining us tonight, Artemis. This is quite the party." The old man stated, looking around at each of us as he spoke. "I was hoping I could have Lydia, but you'll do just fine. You look confused, so let's cut to the chase. Scott has something that I want. And the only way for me to ensure that I get what I want is by sending him a message. Do you think Scott finding his two best friends beaten and bloodied will make an impression?" He asked nonchalantly, wrapping a belt around his knuckles and stalking towards me.

"Gerard! Don't! Just leave her alone. She doesn't know anything." Stiles said, taking a step forward. With surprising speed, the old man whipped around, clocking Stiles across the face and sending him sprawling. I screamed around my gag and started struggling again. Stiles started to get up, laughing bitterly.

"What are you? 90? I could take you." He said, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. Gerard clenched his jaw in annoyance and I began struggling. Gerard stooped and dragged Stiles to his feet and began hitting him repeatedly. I watched in horror as Stiles was beaten to a bloodied pulp. After what felt like an hour, Gerard dropped a half conscious Stiles at my feet, and sent a nasty kick in his direction, catching Stiles in the chin. I yelped and struggled to loosen my bindings, but to no avail.

"Well, that was fun. Who's next?" Gerard asked, turning to face me and the other two hanging from the ceiling. I glared up at him, screaming obscenities through my gag.

Gerard smiled and approached me. He rubbed his knuckles, cracking them each one by one. He leaned down so he was eye level with me and studied my face.

"Hmmm. You know, I was thinking. How many people does it take to deliver a message?" Suddenly his fist shot out, catching me square in the mouth, tossing my head to the side. I didn't make a sound. I turned my head to face him again and gritted my teeth hard against the gag.

"Stiles is Scott's best friend and unfortunately, you are just a friend. So I don't need you anymore." He straightened up and walked to a table a few feet away. I started pulling my arms back to try and squeeze my hands out of the shackles, but they were too tight. Gerard started towards me again, this time brandishing a wickedly curved blade. He tossed it from hand to hand as if weighing it. I felt a drop of sweat glide down my throat as I began to panic. I started thrashing in the chair, trying desperately to tip it over. It barely moved. Stiles groaned and rolled himself on to his back, his face splattered with his own blood. Gerard stepped over him so he stood directly in front of me.

"This was my great great grandfather's. Do you know it's name and what it means?" I whimpered and continued my thrashing, barely even registering the words he had spoken.

"Loup mort. That's French. For 'wolf death'." He smiled and trailed the tip of the blade down the side of my neck and along my collar bone. My breath hitched as I felt the blade pierce my skin. It was shallow but it stung.

"My grandfather's grandfather gave this to him. As I will pass it on to Allison." I froze. I remembered him. He was the old man from the hospital with Allison's dad. I stared at him in shock and utter confusion. I couldn't understand why he would do this to his daughter's friends. To a bunch of kids.

"Ah. I see the gears beginning to turn in that pretty skull of yours. Good." Without warning he plunged the knife straight down, deep in to my thigh, making me scream in agony. I had never felt pain like that before. Tears sprang to my eyes as I screamed and screamed. The pain made me see bright pin points of light in the corners of my vision. Gerard clasped the grip of the knife and pulled it out, blood pouring out after it. My screaming subsided to a sharp keening as I writhed in absolute agony.

"No." Stiles tried to sit up, but couldn't seem to find the strength. He reached a hand out to me as Gerard turned to smile at him.

"Ahh. I'm sorry Stiles, but I only need one of you to deliver the message. One of you needs to be beaten and broken. In every sense." With that he plunged the knife in to my chest, just below my ribs. Stiles eyes filled with tears as he begged.

"Please stop. She doesn't know. She doesn't-"

I couldn't scream anymore. I couldn't even breathe. I struggled for air as I felt blood begin filling the back of my throat. I choked and coughed, but the blood had nowhere to go with the gag blocking my mouth. I felt the cloth get heavy as the blood seeped into it, staining it a deep crimson.

"Looks like I hit a lung." Gerard chuckled, pulling the knife from my chest with a hard jerk, pulling my upper body with it. My upper body fell forward, my head falling between my knees as I watched the blood begin to drip from the gag on to the dirty cement floor. I felt myself starting to go cold. It was like someone had just cranked the AC on to full blast. I looked up at Stiles to see him trying to crawl towards me, tears pouring down his face. Gerard had won. Stiles was beaten down, in every sense. I couldn't breathe. All I could think about was air. I needed air. I started jerking involuntarily as my body and instincts took control. I gasped for air through the gag to no avail and tried breathing through my nose, but all it did was make me panic even more. My vision started to dim as I began to lose consciousness. The last thing I heard was Gerard's mocking voice as everything began to fade.

"Repose en paix, beauté."

And then I died.