First Day - Part Two/Mirror-Me

Finally it was 2:02pm. Thirteen minutes of class left. I rested my head on my desk and waited for the final bell to release me from study hall. The day had gone on pretty uneventful. Stiles and I had several classes together and he introduced me to a few of his friends at lunch. Scott was his "brother-from-another-mother". Allison was Scott's on and off again girlfriend. Lydia was friends with Allison and her ex was Jackson, but she'd hooked up with Scott at some point and Stiles had a massive crush on her. A little confusing, but manageable. I just couldn't help but notice that everyone was a bit... Detached. Like they were all in on a big secret or part of some big plot that excluded me. But I didn't pry. They probably just needed to get used to me. And vis versa.

"Artemis? Right?" I looked over my arms to see Matt, the 'hit and run' guy, taking a seat across from me. He smiled and rested his elbows on the table in a casual manner.

"How was your first day at Beacon Hills?"

I shrugged and picked at a chip in the tabletop.

"That bad, huh? It gets better after a while. Things start settling down. Look, I'm a photographer for the school newspaper. Do you mind if I snap a few pics of you for the new student segment I'm working on?" He rifled through his bag, pulling out an expensive looking camera and lens.

"Uhm. Sure." I quickly start tucking back stray strands of hair and pinching my cheeks for some color.

"Ok. I'm gunna just take some candids. So if you want to just pull out a notepad and start doodling, but try to make it look like work." He aimed the camera at me, as I started digging through my bag for my binder. I looked up just as the camera flashed.

"Ok, now try to look everywhere but the camera. These are candids." He tried again and this time I was able to keep my eyes away from the camera, even though, for some reason I wanted to look up every time. I grabbed my pen and began doodling on a fresh page. After a while, I could still hear the shutter on the camera chatter in the background, but I was too engrossed in my sketch. It had gone from random lines and curves into a beautiful outline of what looked kind of like a lotus flower.

Suddenly the bell rang. I dropped my pen and binder into my bag and bolted for the door, not waiting for Matt. I wanted to get home and climb into my nice warm bed. And stay there forever. I all but sprinted down the hallways and out the doors to my car. Mal stood near my car, conversing with a few girls that dressed similar to her. Great. There's more than one? Ha.

I swept past her and into the car, honking the horn once when she didn't follow right away. Giving me her signature evil glare, she sashayed her way to the car and took her time getting in, knowing full well all I wanted was to get home. As soon as her door shut, I squealed out of the parking lot and down the road toward the house.

"What's the matter, Hun? Big bad school get the best of poor Arty?" Mal sneered, checking her makeup in her compact. I clenched the wheel, praying to a higher power for the strength not to throw her a beating before reaching the house. Luckily, for her, we pulled up the driveway in record time. As soon as I turned off the car, I zipped into the house, up the stairs and straight to my welcoming bed. I flopped down on the bed and sighed. Another 'first day' done, how many more to go? Who knows.

That evening was spent reviewing a few pages of notes, cleaning up after dinner, and having movie night with Elle and Brent. Mal stayed holed up in her room all night, the only sounds were her music and every once in a while I caught her voice, obviously on the phone. When the end credits of the movie began, I retreated to my room for some well deserved R&R. I was unconscious before my head even hit the pillow.

*******************************************

I rolled over in my sleep but snapped awake and gasped, my heart leaping into my throat. I was in the woods, laying on the leaf strewn ground. And I was alone. 'Great. A sleep walking idiot. Artemis: 1, Common sense: 0.' I thought, getting to my feet and brushing myself off. It was still a bit dark, the sky a dark blue, the sun not yet over the horizon. I wrapped my arms around myself to ward off the early morning chill. I was wearing only cotton shorts and a cotton tank. I looked around to try and get my bearings, but succeeded in only confusing myself even more. But my thoughts were soon distracted. A soft rustling began somewhere in the trees, like a slithering sound. My blood seemed to run cold as it got closer.

"Artemisssss." A soft raspy voice called. I couldn't help the whimper that escaped my lips. Thump. I jumped when I heard something hit the ground somewhere behind me. I slowly turned around, but quickly wished I hadn't.

There lay my birth mother. Her body was badly mangled and splattered with blood and her hair was an auburn mess of leaves and twigs. Her jade eyes stared at me blankly in death. I screamed and stepped backward, tripping on a branch and toppling backwards on my rear. Thump. Another heavy thud came from my left. About three feet away lay my real father. His black hair was matted with blood and his chest was caved in like it was empty. His arms and legs stuck out at horrible angles and his eyes were closed. I scrambled backwards in an awkward crab walk, trying unsuccessfully to get away and up on my feet. I grabbed the rough bark of the nearest tree and hauled myself to my feet and pressed myself against the tree, hiding my face with my hands. 'It isn't real. It isn't real. It isn't real.' I thought desperately, fighting back the hysteria that threatened to break me.

"Open your eyessss, Artemisssss. See what you've done. You did thisss." The voice rasped from directly behind me. I shook my head vigorously. I was starting to smell the blood and could feel the bile rising in my throat.

"This isn't real. You're not real. You're not real!" I spoke out loud, daring to open my eyes. Slowly I stepped away from the tree and looked around.

I was alone again. There was no sign of the mangled bodies or that they were ever even there. 'I'm losing it.' I thought. 'I need to get out of here.' I turned around and screamed. I was looking at a mirror version of myself. Mirror-me smirked and tilted her head.

"Do you miss them?" Mirror-me asked in the same raspy voice, sending violent shudders down my spine. I turned to run, but she was directly in front of me again, blocking my way.

"Because I don't think they miss you." Suddenly, Mirror-me's eyes began to glow and I watched in horror as her teeth began to elongate into delicately curved fangs and markings similar to intricate tribal designs began to bleed across her skin, staining it black. Then she lunged forward.

*******************************************

I woke with a start, my heart pounding in my chest, my breaths coming in short shallow gasps. I gripped my comforter tightly, as though it was the only thing keeping me anchored to my bed.

"What the hell?!" I gasped, looking around my room. It was 6 am. I examined my hands and found no blackish markings or tattoos. I flew out of bed and to my vanity to check my eyes. The same bright jade flecked with gold stared back. No glow or luminescence. I sighed in relief. The dream had felt so real. I rubbed my eyes and stretched.

Well, I was up so I figured I'd get ready and if I had time, I'd walk to school, avoiding the woods, of course. The fresh air might do me some good. I slipped on some comfy green sweat pants, a white wife beater, black zip up hoodie, and a green beanie. I left my hair down and natural, not feeling like fighting the thick curls today. I did some light makeup, sticking with a more natural look. 6:32am.

I picked up my bag, cell and chucks and headed down stairs. Surprisingly, the house was still dark and silent. I went to the kitchen and scribbled a note to Elle to let here know where I'd gone and then slipped on my chucks and walked out the door.

The morning was cool and crisp. Fall was officially on its way. I smiled and began my trek to school, sticking to the main roads. I passed a few shops in town and stopped at the small café for a coffee. Walking along the empty main street sipping my coffee, I felt amazing. Nightmare aside, this was turning out to be a perfect morning. As I crossed the old bridge, the halfway point to the school, I heard an engine roar up from behind me and an old, blue jeep sped past me. Suddenly it screeched to a halt in the middle of the road. The passenger door swung open to reveal Scott.

"Missy! Do you want a ride?" He yelled, waving me over. I smiled but shook my head.

"Na. I'm ok. Thanks though." I waved them on. The drivers side door opened to reveal Stiles.

"Get in the jeep." He shouted, slamming his door shut before I could argue. I sighed and then jogged up to the jeep, and climbed in the back seat.

"I could've just walked, you know." I said, buckling my seatbelt. Stiles grinned at me through the rearview mirror.

"Your welcome." With that, he sped off toward the school.