Batman - the daring rescue

"Welcome Miss McCob. It looks like you'll be alone in detention this afternoon." The teacher announced as I took a seat in the back. I silently thanked whatever higher power there was. "But, I've arranged some manual labor for you to complete to ensure you remain fully conscious. You'll be helping the janitorial group clean up the fields for the upcoming game on Saturday. You're to meet Mr. Manslow in the main lobby. You're excused." The teacher nodded my dismissal and I huffed out of the room. 'Awesome. This is exactly what I want to be doing on a Friday.' I thought, dragging my feet to the lobby.

Mr. Manslow stood by the lobby doors with a rake, trash bags, and gloves in his hands. He looked me up and down and chuckled.

"You Artemis McCob?" He asked, looking doubtful. I shrugged.

"That depends. Are you Manslow?" I asked crossing my arms and cocking an eyebrow. He chuckled.

"You'll do just fine. Take these." He tossed me a pair of gloves and a trash bag. "Your job is weeding and bagging leaves." I followed him out the doors and to the fields.

"So... When am I done?" I asked, tugging the gloves on and opening my trash bag.

"When I say so. You work hard and not whine, you get off early." He said, pulling on his own gloves. We came up to the fields where a handful of people were already hard at work raking and weeding the field and sweeping the bleachers off. I sighed heavily and made my way to the farthest corner of the field.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. As inconspicuously as I could I slipped it out and checked my texts.

(6 New Messages)

2:30p -You riding home with us? -Scott

2:33p -hello??? -Scott

2:38p -call me -Scott

2:42p -do you have notes from eng I could copy? -Danny

2:42p -Scott was looking for you. Told me to text you. -Allison

2:54p -How's detention, Sleepy? :) -Stiles

I ignored Scott and Allison and text Danny and Stiles.

To: Danny -Sure. Are you going to Lydia's? We could meet early.

To: Stiles -Lonely.

"Your workin' hard or hardly workin'?" A gruff voice called from behind me. I slipped my phone into my pocket and spun around. An older man stood, leaning on his rake, watching me skeptically. He had a thick beard and dark eyes and a husky build, his belly hanging out over his belt. He reminded me of a small Hagrid. I smiled and set to work.

"Can I listen to my ipod?" I called as he started to walk away.

"As long as your working and getting things done, I don't care." He said, shuffling off to begin his own work. I put in my earbuds and shuffled to a mellow playlist. I felt my phone vibrate and checked it again.

(1 New Message)

3:05p -Want me to kidnap you? -Stiles

To: Stiles -maybe :)

I smiled and text back quickly, then slid my phone away again. I pulled weeds for about 20 minutes when I saw movement from the corner of my eye. I looked up and pulled my earbuds out. What I saw was both hilarious and terrifying. Stiles' blue jeep was tearing through the fields toward me at a startling speed. I watched in shock as Mr. Manslow narrowly missed becoming road kill as Stiles fishtailed out of control before righting again. As he got closer, I stood and nervously took a few steps back. Grass and lumps of dirt flew through the air as the jeep wrenched to a stop beside me. He threw open the passenger door and beamed at me.

"What are you waiting for? A written invitation?" He shouted, looking over his shoulder at the janitors running towards us in anger. I was still recovering from shock, but quickly got over it when I saw the janitors running full force towards us. I grabbed my bag and jumped in the jeep, slamming the door shut behind me. If I had to choose between an angry mob of underpaid janitors or the possibility of a months worth of detention, I'd pick detention every time. Stiles hit the gas and we tore out and back to the parking lot. Once on the main road, I burst into tears and started laughing. I didn't care if I looked like a crazy person. I felt awful for leaving such a mess of tire tracks, guilty because I knew I'd pay for it on Monday, and ecstatic because I had never done anything like this in my life. It felt amazing. Stiles grinned at me.

"You ok?" He laughed.

I nodded, catching my breath and wiping my eyes.

"Yeah, that was... Amazing! I... I don't know! I've never done anything like that! I didn't even think you were serious."

He shrugged. "You were a damsel in distress. I wasn't doing anything of significance... Figured I could be Batman for once."

I quirked my eyebrows at him in confusion. "Batman?"

"Oh, you don't like Batman? How about Spiderman? Superman?" I laughed.

"No, I like Batman. I just don't get the reference. Are you usually robin?" I couldn't help the giggle that bubbled up. He gave me a wierd look and shrugged.

"Yeah." I smiled and touched his arm in reassurance.

"Well I think you make a good Batman."