Party... or not.

"So, party at my place Friday. I expect you all to be there." Lydia said, staring each of us down into submission. I nodded and smiled my fake smile.

"Sure Lydia. Sounds... Awesome." I looked to Scott and Stiles for back up. Stiles nodded and Scott elbowed him in the ribs, hard.

"Is Jackson gunna be there?" Allison asked. I had noticed that the three of them, Allison, Scott, and Stiles were very anti-Jackson. It almost made me feel bad for him.

"Well everyone will be there. So... Yes." Lydia spoke slowly, as if Allison was slow. I frowned. Allison smiled and shrugged.

"Ok. I'll see if I'm free that night."

Lydia nodded and strutted away towards the gym.

"Remind me why we put up with her crap?" I asked, scowling after Lydia. Allison sighed and shared a look with Scott.

"She's going through a tough time with Jackson and still going through her whole 'lost in the woods' fiasco. She needs friends right now." I softened slightly. I had heard of Lydia's naked run through the woods. Noone really knew what had happened. Some people said she was raped, others said she was on a bad trip. I didn't know what to think.

"So, are we all going or what?" I asked. Stiles opened his mouth to speak but stopped when Scott shot him a warning glance.

"Uh, actually Stiles and I have a lot of lacrosse practice to catch up on." I raised an eyebrow. What the hell was with all the secrets?!

"Right. Yeah, I just remembered, I have a Tibetan throat singing competition to practice for. Yeah, I can't go either. In fact, I'm gunna go get started now. I'll see you." I said, rolling my eyes and turned to walk away.

"Missy, wait!" I waved over my shoulder and kept walking. They wanted to keep me out, fine. I knew when I wasn't wanted. I marched out the front doors of the school and groaned. For the past week, I'd been getting rides with Scott and Stiles, but today I wanted to put as much space as possible between them and me. And that meant skipping Lacrosse practice. Looked like I was walking. I decided to cut through the lacrosse fields and then through the creek and through the woods that let out to the top of my street. I pulled out my ipod and popped in my earbuds. Setting it to my favorite playlist, I took off across the fields at a brisk walk. There were a few boys scrimaging on the far side of the fields but other than them and a few track runners, the fields were vacant. I made it halfway across before it happened. I didn't see it coming till it was too late.

"Oompf!" All the air was knocked out of me as something big and heavy hit me square between the shoulders. I collapsed, face first in the grass, whatever hit me laying on top of me. I struggled to get free and get air. Suddenly the weight was gone.

"Oh my god! I'm sorry! I didn't even see you! Are you ok?" I rolled over, gasping for air to see Jackson looming over me in full Lacrosse gear. He reached down, taking my hand and pulled me to my feet.

"Are you ok?" He asked again. I leaned over, hands on my knees and just breathed.

"Yeah." I wheezed. "I'm good." I gave a thumbs up, but remained bent at the waist. He laughed. I looked up to see him with a real smile on his face. He was really handsome when he smiled. I smiled back.

"Are you sure? You just took 170lbs of speeding Lacrosse player to the back." He stood beside me and gently rested his hand on my back.

"Yeah," I straightened, and nodded, holding my chest. "I've been hit with bigger sides of beef." Now I understood the need for all that padding. Damn.

"Yeah right. Where are you headed?" He asked, his hand still lingering noticeably at the small of my back, sending tingles up my spine. I shook it off. 'Focus' I thought.

"Uhhm. I was just heading home."

He frowned. "Through the woods? Probably not the best idea. Why don't you stay for a while and after practice, I'll drive you home?" I thought for a moment. A ride did sound nice. But if I stayed through Lacrosse, that would mean probably having to talk to Scott or Stiles again and I wasn't in the mood.

"No, that's ok. I'll be fine." I grabbed my ipod off the ground.

"Come on. Practice will only take like an hour. If you get bored watching me play, there's always the history assignment to work on." He smirked. I punched him in the arm.

"Fine. But that means your taking me home AND helping me research the whole Magna Carta thing." I had almost forgotten all about the history assignment. And it was due tomorrow! He led me back to the bleachers and sat with me until the coach yelled for him to hit the field. I watched a few plays before finally cracking open one of my many books on law.

"Artemis! Hey, Missy!" I looked up just in time to see Stiles trip over a book bag and then a pile of lacrosse sticks. I had no idea how he'd lived to his age with coordination like that. I fought the smirk tugging at the corner of my mouth. He reached me and then plopped down beside me, his shoulder pads nudging me roughly.

"Look. Scott wasn't trying to blow you off-"

I cut him off. "Oh, it must come naturally then."

Stiles sighed and leaned back, almost tipping over when he realised there was no back rest.

"He just doesn't think this party is a good idea."

I rolled my eyes. "And why does Mr. McCall think its not a good idea? Because Jackson will be there? What is with you guys and hating on him all the time?" I snapped my book shut for emphasis.

"Its not that. It's just- There's a lot going on that you don't know and its best for everyone if it stays that way. I know I sound like total jerk right now, but I can't explain. Just trust me? Don't go to the party." Stiles looked me dead in the eye and I knew he was serious. I swallowed hard and nodded.

"Omg. But its not anything too bad is it? Like, Noone's in trouble?" I watched him closely. He looked away to the left, a sign of lying.

"Yeah. Nothing too bad." Suddenly the coach called.

"Stilinski! Get your ass down here! This is lacrosse, not 'The Bachelor'!"

"Just promise you won't go to the party." Stiles grabbed my free hand and squeezed.

I stared at him for a moment before nodding again.

"Ok."

He sighed in relief and stood.

"Now if you'll excuse me. Duty calls." He managed to make it on to the field without tripping over himself.