Control

"So..." Stiles sat beside me staring at the far wall in confusion. I'd just told him my whole story, from Gerard killing me to Deaton telling me what he thought I was. I clenched my fists to stop my hands from shaking.

"So... What ?" I asked. I looked at him, searching his face for any judgements or fear. It was obvious he was still putting everything together.

"So. You are a... Vampire. And you need to feed on... Blood? Have you yet?" His eyes widened as he turned to look at me. There it was, the fear I was afraid I'd see. I cringed and looked away. "No. Like I said, Deaton went out to get me the stuff and then never came back and never called me back. What am I supposed to do? Attack a random stranger?"

"Well, yeah. Thats what they do in movies, right? They lure people into dark alleys and then drain their blood beside a dumpster. Either that or they sparkle. You don't sparkle do you? Please tell me that you don't sparkle, cuz that would really ruin this for me." I tried to hide the smile but couldn't. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Nope. No fairies here."

"Wait. If Deaton never came back, then where is he? And he said you'd need to feed soon. How soon is soon? If you don't, are you gunna vamp out and drain everyone? Have you vamped out yet?"

Stiles was getting himself overexcited and making me nervous at the same time. The higher his pulse, the stronger my throat burned. I caught myself involuntarily eyeing his throat before tearing my gaze away to a drum set across room.

"I don't know where he is or where to look, but I need him soon because I think I'm dying." Stiles stared at me for a moment, processing.

"Dying? But you just said that your undead."

"Deaton said I was in transition. I'm not a real vampire yet. I'm in between. and I think I'm starting to feel it."

"Feel what?"

"It sounds horrible. But I think I'm starting to feel my insides rot. I'm falling apart. I need blood and I can't wait for Deaton much longer."

Our eyes met and I looked away instantly. It was the truth, but why did it have to be so hard to say out loud? Why did this have to happen to me? Or better yet, how? But for now I needed my mind off blood.

"So what's with this Derek kid? Why should he care if I'm alive or not?" I asked, remembering how we ended up locked in the band room.

"You see, Derek is kind of a werewolf. And he doesn't like things he isn't familiar with like kindness, girls.... vampires. And when Scot found me, Derek was with him and heard the whole story of you getting, uhm, killed. So, he isn't gunna be too thrilled to see you up and about."

I frowned and absentmindedly began tracing patterns on my thigh. "Why should I be concerned with anything he doesn't like? What's the worst he could do? Kill me? Been there. Done that." I felt Stiles shift uncomfortably beside me. "Stiles..."

"I know you said it wasn't my fault. But I should have done something, said something, anything. I just... I feel like I messed up." Stiles refused to look me in the eyes, instead focusing on my finger tips tracing on my leg. I wanted to reach out and hug him or even just lean into him, but even being this close felt like I was pushing a very dangerous boundary. I sighed, running my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"You did all you could. I'm here. I'm... Okay, I guess. As okay as I'll ever be." I pushed myself up to my feet, and reached out my hand to help him up. "But right now, I'm a starving vampire locked in a building full of over three hundred and fifty warm, living blood bags. I need to go." Stiles nodded and shuffled his feet.

"Where are you gunna go?" He looked like a lost puppy, the way he looked up at me with his big brown eyes, I almost smiled. Almost.

"I have to find Deaton. I need to learn more about what I really am. I mean, I googled it, but I'd really like a second opinion." I laughed dryly. Stiles gave me a half hearted smiled and reached out as if the embrace me. In a millisecond, I found myself across the room, bracing myself against the grand piano.

"That would not be a good idea, Stiles . I only have so much self control. And I like you better as a friend than a happy meal." He nodded, and dropped his arms. "Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I'll go find Scott, maybe he knows where Deaton is. I'll let you know." I watched silently as he slipped out and the lock clicked behind him.

That was close. Way too close. I had felt the burn in my throat roar to life as Stiles had stepped towards me. I hadn't realized what I was doing until I hit the piano with my hip. I looked down and gasped. Where my hands gripped the top, the wood was warped and splintered. 'Deaton. Where the hell are you?'