Admission

I gasped as the first jet of water blasted my skin. The water was freezing. I leapt back, grasping at the knob and cranking it as far to the left as possible.

"Yes, I forgot to mention it takes a few minutes for the water to warm. Old plumbing, Dear." I looked over my shoulder to see Mrs. Burton standing by the door, my dirty clothes hanging over one arm. "Your clothes will be washed and stored in contraband for you when you leave. Scrubs will be provided for you until your family decides to send you clothing that meets Eichen standards. No strings, no logos or gang symbols, and no studs or other drab accessories." I nodded, turning back to the steady stream of water. I tentatively reached a hand out to test the water. It was lukewarm, but it would do. I stepped in the direct path of the water, relishing the feeling of the water racing over my skin. I rubbed at the skin of my throat and chin and watched as the water at my feet turned a murky rust color before being swallowed by the open drain.

"Soap is located there in the first dispenser, shampoo in the second, and conditioner in the third. When you're finished, please be sure to turn the shower completely off. I'll be waiting right outside the door." I spun, having thought she'd already gone. She stood in the exact same spot, still staring. I nodded and waited until the door swung shut behind her before turning back to the water. I shivered. 'This place is fucking weird.' I thought. I shook my head and began cleaning myself up.

~~~.~~~

Just as she had promised, Mrs. Burton stood right outside the door waiting for me. My clothes were gone and in their place were blankets and a pillow with no cover. She handed the pile to me.

"This is your bedding. You'll find no sheets or pillow case. Per our policies and procedures, new residents are not granted these luxuries until it has been determined that the resident will use them appropriately. Right this way." Before I could utter a word she turned on her heel and bustled away towards my room. I sighed and stalked after her. I watched intently as she hurried ahead of me, memorizing the sound of her footsteps in my head. Her steps were even and precise. Click, click, click. Everything about her was clean cut and even. I frowned.

"So you think I'm going to try to kill myself?" I asked, watching her for a reaction. She shook her head, her steps never missing a beat. "Just a precaution."

I nodded. Then a smirk tugged at the corner of my lips. "I'm not suicidal. Homicidal, maybe. But suicidal, no." She gave me no reaction, it was as if I hadn't even spoken at all. I frowned again. Suddenly she stopped dead in her tracks. I glanced up, only then realizing we had reached my room.

"I'll be leaving now to do rounds with Gregory. Breakfast will be brought to you at seven. Good night." I set the blankets and pillow on the bed. "What do you mean, 'brought to you-" before I could finish my question, the door slammed shut, followed by the clang of a heavy lock.

"Oh, hell no..." I whispered, hurrying to the door. That's when I realized there was no handle or knob on the inside. I was locked in.

'This is what you wanted, Artemis. Remember?' A quiet voice whispered in the back of my head. It was true. This had been what I'd been working toward all night. But now that I'd succeeded, it was terrifying. Suddenly the room seemed much smaller than before. I dropped to a crouch, running my fingers through my hair. I wasn't sure whether I should laugh or cry. I wanted to cry because I was officially in the nut house. I wanted to laugh because I must have beat a world record to get here so quickly. I had hurt five people and killed one to get here. 'But how many have you saved? By locking yourself up here, you're saving countless people.' The quiet voice chimed in my head. I laughed. It sounded strange to my own ears. Probably because it was the first real laugh I'd had in days. Since before I had died. "And now I'm hearing voices." I murmured, getting to my feet. I set to making my bed, crawling in once complete, content to sleep away the events of the night.

~~~.~~~

A loud clang followed by a metal on metal scraping sound woke me from my dreamless sleep. I squinted in the bright light shining through my windows at the door. A metal slot in the middle of the door had slid open and a tray of food had been pushed through. I groaned and rolled out of the bed and to my feet. I eyed the tray and gave it a sniff before rolling my eyes and returning to my bed. Whatever it was supposed to be, it didn't look appetizing in the least. I shivered, wrapping my blankets tightly around me. It was freezing.

"Are you gunna eat that?" I jumped at the voice by the door. I jumped to my feet and rushed to the door.

"Hello?!" I called, trying to look through the slot. I was met with a set of beautiful blue eyes. I blinked in shock.

"I said, 'are you gunna eat that'?" I struggled to get my mouth to work.

"Uhm. Y-yeah. No! I mean no. I'm not gunna eat it. Help yourself." I muttered, staring at the blue eyes as they darted from me to the still steaming tray of... whatever it was.

I watched as the tray was pulled through the slot, catching the metal before it clicked shut. I held it open, looking out through the slot in hopes of catching sight of the blue eyed boy. All I could see were a pair of scrub clad legs disappearing around a corner. I sighed and let the metal flap fall.