First Day - Part One

Once free of the queen bitch's claws, I sprinted up the steps to the front double doors to Beacon Hills High School. I took a deep dramatic breath and then pushed on the door. Nothing. I pushed again. Still nothing. Glancing at my cell I checked the time. 7:57am. The school should be open...

"Hey, uh, you need some help?" I looked up to see someone walking toward me. He was medium height, hair shaved short, and a baby face. Overall, cute. He grasped the door handle and pulled and the door swung open with ease. He smiled and then covered his mouth with his hand in an obvious attempt to hide his laughter. I thought my hair would catch fire from the blush that was currently burning in my cheeks.

"Oh my god. Embarrassing. Thanks." I stepped past him into the school. And refused to make eye contact. This guy probably thought I was a total ditz! 'Ugh! Way to go, Missy. Way to fit in and stay under the radar. Now, he'll probably escort you to the special needs department!' I thought furiously.

"No worries. Happens all the time." He said, walking beside me.

"Really?" I asked, sarcasm dripping.

"Well no, but I think you should be granted a pass, being the new girl and all. I'm Stiles." He extended his hand and I shook it.

"Artemis. But I go by Missy." He gave me another smile. "Wierd. I know. My birth parents were really into Greek mythology. "

"No. No judgement here. Artemis. That's actually pretty cool. Stiles isn't my real name. My last name is Stilinski, so Stiles." He spoke really fast, like he was nervous. I smiled. He was really cute.

"So, what is your real name?" We had stopped in front of the front office doors. He winced and ran his hand through is hair.

"Your don't wanna know." I smiled and shrugged.

"Ok. Well, Stiles," I stretched his name for emphasis. "Thanks for... That. I swear I'm smart. I am. I guess its just not my day." He shrugged and adjusted his bag on his shoulder.

"You'll be fine. People around here won't bite you. Well at least most of them won't." I nodded, looking around. The halls were already packed with students and there was still half an hour until classes started.

"Well, I better get my stuff from the office. Will I see you later?" Stiles' eyes widened and he froze, as if in shock.

"You want to see me later?" I stare at him for a second, processing his question.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Oh, no reason. It's just... Yeah, I'll see you at lunch. Cool." He seemed to stumble over his words. I smiled and then turned to enter the office. A short woman in a violent pink dress sat typing at a computer behind the desk. She looked up as I approached.

"Can I help you, Miss?" She asked, her voice slightly raspy like she'd smoked too many cigarettes.

"Yes, I'm new and I need my schedule and locker combination."

"Name?"

"Artemis McCob."

The woman looked up at me over her red rimmed glasses and smiled. Or at least attempted, it came out as more of a sneer.

"Artemis. My, what an unusual name." She began typing furiously at the keyboard and then stood and hobbled over to the printer. She snatched a few papers up and then handed them to me.

"There you are. The top sheet is your schedule, the second is your school code of conduct, and the last is your locker number and combo. Good luck." With that she flopped back into her chair and it was as if I didn't exist. I quietly thanked her and then left the room scanning the third sheet for my locker number. 378. Luckily there was also a map of the school. I followed the map through the busy hallways until I finally found my locker. I managed to open the locker quickly and without any problems. 'Thank god it wasn't another push or pull door, Artemis.' I thought, embarrassment flooding me again. I quickly stuffed my bag into the locker and took out my binder and pen bag and cellphone. Turning to head to my first class, I crashed into someone.