The Test

The parking lot was full when I arrived at Beacon Hills High. Juniors and seniors in their brand new letterman jackets loitered around between vehicles, sophomores rushed to the front entrance with their heads down, and freshman traveled in groups, staring in awe at the seniors and their shiny new jackets. I rolled my eyes and pulled in to a handicap spot. I didn't have time for these stupid rules... laws... whatever. I needed to find Stiles. I needed to find my Batman.

As I closed my car door I heard some one shout.

"Hey! You can't park there! Go find a regular spot like everyone else." I turned to see Trent, some douche bag Mal was crazy about, walking toward me, his new jacket stretched around his disgustingly massive bi-seps. I growled under my breath but ignored him, turning my back on him.

"Hey!" Suddenly a hand crashed down on my shoulder, spinning me back to face him. "I said: move your piece of shit car to another spot."

I felt the familiar burn in my throat as the scent of his cheap Axe cologne drowned my senses. I swallowed the snarl building in my throat and cleared my throat instead. Without warning, I grabbed his head with both my hands and leaned in, as though to kiss him. I had no intention of kissing this Tarzanian marshmallow of a human, but I needed to get his full attention. And by the look on his face, I had it.

"Listen here, Asshole." I kept eye contact and concentrated as hard as I could on conveying the message that I was in charge and not one to be messed with. I read it in some book, that vampires have some kind of mind control or something. Figured I could give it a shot.

"I don't take orders from underage drunks who have nothing better to do than monitor the high school handicap parking spot. Now walk away, and don't speak to me again." I released his head and turned back to the building again, not wanting to wait to see if my mind trick worked.

As I walked into the school, I felt a sudden rush of nausea. I felt like I was about to vomit. I could smell and taste everything. Paper, sweat, chalk, metal, plastic, cheap perfumes, dead plants, and blood. And I could hear everything. Chairs screeching across linoleum, chalk scratching across black boards, fingers poking at keys on the keyboards, pages turning, sneezes, laughter. It was all amplified. The scents were the worst. I felt my canines begin to elongate in my mouth and my vision begin to sharpen. I groaned and leaned against a wall by the front office. 'I can't do this. I'm going to kill someone. I can't do this!' I thought frantically, struggling to maintain my composure.

"Missy?"

I looked up to see Allison staring at me like a deer in my headlights. Her chocolate brown eyes were wide and her mouth hung slightly open. I would have laughed if I hadn't been on the verge of attempting to rip her throat out. "You're- you're- you... How are you- Oh my God! Artemis! You're here!" She rushed forward to hug me. I grabbed her forearms and held her back at arms length. My self control was quivering at a dangerous level.

"You really don't want to do that right now." I managed a warning through clenched teeth. I tried to smile reassuringly at her, but I'm sure it was more of a grimace.

"Missy! We've all thought you were dead this whole time! Stiles said- well, he said he saw... What are you doing here?! Why didn't you tell one of us you were ok?! You wait until the last day of school to show up?!" Allison's voice seemed to rise with each word. I flinched slightly, afraid some passerby might eaves drop on our conversation. Angry tears sprang to Allison's eyes at the last sentence. I managed a small smirk.

"You know that's my style." I suddenly felt another wave of nausea, causing me to fall back against the wall, still holding Allison's arms.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" Allison raised her hand toward my forehead as if to take my temp, but I kept my hands locked around her arms.

"I'm ok. I need to find Stiles. Do you know where he is?" I winced as a group of junior girls walked past, their heels clicking obnoxiously loud on the linoleum tiles and their perfume choking me. Then it was Allison's turn to smirk.

"I know exactly where he is. Come on, I'll take you."