Strangers

I woke up from my dreamless sleep to find myself shivering. I glanced around my room through squinted eyes to see my window open.

"What the hell?" I muttered, sitting up and throwing the blankets off me. I stood and shuffled to the window, reaching blindly for the top pane to pull down. As I slammed it shut, I looked outside, just in time to see Elle's Pontiac disappear around the street corner. Confused, I grabbed a hoodie from the closet and cautiously opened my bedroom door. All the lights in the house were off and everything was silent. I crept down the stairs and into the kitchen. The stove clock read '11:17pm'. I yawned and opened the fridge, looking for a snack. I'd slept all day and I was starving. I grabbed an Orange from the crisper and a bottled water from the shelf and kicked the door shut. That's when I noticed the pink post-it on the counter by the phone. 'Missy, Manny called. Needs ride from airport. I'll be back by 3a. Brent in Montana. Mal at Kelsey's for the night. XOXO, Elle.'

I went to the dining room and pulled out a chair. The house was so quiet it was eerie. I slowly sat, looking around hesitantly. After a few moments I got over my unease and set to peeling the Orange.

I saw something move from the corner of my eye, making me whip my head in that direction. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I noticed a shadow moving toward the stairs. It wasn't a distinct shape, but it was big. I slowly stood and backed away into the shadow of one of the fake plants Elle kept around the house. I heard a step creak. I swallowed hard and bit my lip, my hands shaking with adrenaline. 'Think, Artemis.' I thought. 'Maybe its just Mal.' Suddenly I relaxed, smiling at my own stupidity. It was probably just Mal sneaking in to get something from her room. I stepped out of the shadows and took a step toward the stairs, but froze when someone stepped out in front of me. It was a man, clad all in black with his back to me. Definitely not Mal. I retraced my steps backwards, melting into the shadows. The man turned his head back toward the kitchen.

"Keep an eye out. She's here somewhere." He said, to someone out of my visual range. He followed the first shadow up the stairs and out of sight. I felt my stomach drop and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. There were strangers in the house. And they were looking for me. I dropped to my hands and knees and crawled under the dining room table. 'Shit. My phone's upstairs.' I groaned inwardly. I crawled toward the kitchen and peeked around the corner. There was a younger man standing by the sliding glass door, looking out at the yard, keeping watch. I quickly sank back and tried to think fast. 'Come on Artemis. You have five years of self defense under your belt. You can take him.' I took a deep breath and stood shakily. I closed my eyes and tried to remember my training. 'Stay aware. Control the situation. Hurt them first. Get away.' I thought, panicked. I peeked around the corner again, just as he turned away.

I moved swift and silent across the kitchen tile, grabbing a knife from the knife block and holding it point down. He hummed a quiet tune under his breath as he shifted his weight from left to right and back again. I moved until I was directly behind him and then grabbed his wrist, pulling his arm back at an awkward angle and forcing him to his knees. I slid the knife to his throat with my other hand, silencing any noise he was about to make. I felt a rush of something I had never felt before. The only word for it was power. Raw power. I released his wrist and grabbing a handful of his blonde hair, smashed his head into the kitchen tile with enough force to crack the tiles and knock him unconscious. He crumpled on the floor silently and I released him, glancing at the stairs for any sign that the others had heard me. Noone came running. I stepped over the man's body and out to the back patio. Everything was silent and the only light came from the street lights in the area. I rushed around the side of the house and crouched near the livingroom window and peeked in. The man I had seen near the table stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking around. He ran out of sight to the kitchen, followed by a much larger, scarier looking man. The big guy stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked up, right at me. I lept back and ran to the gate that let out to the front of the house. After fumbling with it for a second, it swung open and I bolted for the street. Just as I reached the pavement I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder. I ignored it and kept going, but suddenly my legs seemed to turn to jelly. I collapsed in a heap, but it didn't stop me. I began a laborious army crawl until I lost control of my arms. After a few moments of laying there and catching my breath, a shadow fell over me in the light of the street lamp. I turned my head and saw the man I had taken down in the kitchen. A line of blood ran from his temple to his chin and he held some sort of weapon, it looked like a shot gun or rifle. He glared at me and spit at me, splattering the ground with blood. I turned away and again attempted to crawl, but I was too weak.

"Your not going anywhere but where we say you can go. And we say you can go with us." I whimpered as he stepped over me, grabbing me around the waist and lifting me up. I still had the knife in my hand and I swung it back in an ark, slicing the side of his face. He cursed under his breath, dropping me.

"Fine. Have it your way, little bitch." I looked up just in time to see him raise his weapon and swing it down toward my head.

Everything went black.