Lost & Found

I breathed a sigh of relief as Allison led me out the side doors to the Lacrosse fields. The smells of the school faded to softer, mustier smells of pine, grass, and wet cement. I let Allison pull me along until we reached the farthest Lacrosse field. There was some sort of scrimmage taking place. One half of the team wore white jerseys, the others wore maroon. I recognized Scott on first line for maroon and Isaac sat on the bench in white.

"He's there. First line on white." Allison came to a stop beside the bleachers, pointing to the far left of the field. There he was. Number 24. His back was to us. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach, like I'd been punched in the gut. He ran past two guards, swinging his stick to signal he was open for a shot. Danny passed the ball to Stiles, who took the shot and made it. I couldn't even bring myself to smile as the white team began cheering and Stiles began jumping around like a maniac.

"I'll talk to him later. I can't do this right now."

I pulled my sleeve out of Allison's grip and turned back to the school. He looked so happy. So normal. How could I ruin his day with this? 'Hey Stiles. Yeah, I'm alive... Kind of. Would you mind tapping a vein for me?' I shook the thought from my head and wrapped my arms around my self. It felt as though the temperature had dropped ten degrees.

'I can't tell him. I'm a monster. I can't tell anyone. Coming here was a mistake.' I thought as I felt tears prickle behind my eyes. I heard foot steps behind me.

"Allison, I really need to be alone right now. Tell him ok. And that I'm sorry."

"Why don't you tell me yourself?"

I froze mid step and slowly turned. Before I could even react, I found myself wrapped in a mass of sweaty Lacrosse padding.

"My God, Artemis! I thought you were dead!"

I struggled to move my head to an angle where I could breath and speak.

"I'm here."

We stayed like that for a few more moments before I pulled away. He released me and stepped away, clearing his throat and wiping the back of his hand across his mouth awkwardly. His eyes were red rimmed with heavy, dark circles under them. He looked somehow older. He took a deep breath and looked me up and down.

"So what the hell happened to you?!" His voice took on a sharp tone. I suddenly found myself unable to look him in the eye.

"I don't know. It's all just a blur."

I rubbed my arms self consciously. He didn't say anything. Suddenly he wrapped his arms around me again.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't- I'm sorry I couldn't help you." He choked on his words. I felt his shoulders shake as he struggled to maintain his composure.

"I saw you in that chair but I didn't think he'd actually hurt you. But then he..."

I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him back.

"Stiles. It wasn't your fault. He knew what he was doing. There was nothing you could have done."

He pulled away and wiped the moisture from his eyes. He gave me a half smile.

"But I'm supposed to be Batman."

I smiled. "But Batman can't always win."

"Artemis?"

I looked over Stiles' shoulder to see Scott approaching. He looked confused. I faked a smile and waved.

Suddenly Scott froze. He tilted his head to one side, as if listening.

"Scott, what is it?"

Stiles looked between Scott and I. I felt panic begin lapping at my insides. 'Can he tell?'

My fingertips brushed my lips nervously as my tongue traced my teeth. My teeth were retracted, there was no way he could know. Was there?