Magna Carta Libertatum

"Ok class, today we are pairing into groups and each group will be given a topic. By Wednesday of next week a paper on each topic explaining its importance in our history will be due. I expect equal work to be put into each paper by both partners. I will be picking each group at random, so you can take a seat, Mr. Stilinski." The teacher snapped, giving Stiles an annoyed glance over his glasses. Stiles relaxed back into his seat with an exasperated sigh. I looked at Scott and noted the obvious disappointment.

"Julia Stien, I'll pair you with... Alexis Martinz."

A pretty girl with blonde hair quickly moved to the front of the room to be seated by a small, mousy girl with black hair and large glasses.

"Jake Wendt and Maria Glor. Scott McCall and David Sander. Yesenia Daz and Mitch Knight. Stiles Stilinski and Ashley Rhodes..." The teacher went off naming people as students exchanged seats and awkward greetings.

"Artemis McCob and Jackson Wittemore. Ali Thompson and Jinny Dell. Did I miss anyone?" Everyone remained silent. I glanced over at my new partner. He wore a tight fitting navy blue tee and khaki cargo shorts. His hair was perfectly styled and he sat back totally relaxed. 'Not bad to look at, at all.' I thought, full on staring at the young Adonis. He looked up at me and smirked. I looked past him quick to pretend I was staring out the window, but I was busted. I felt my face beginning to boil with color. Smiling shyly, I quickly focused back on the teacher.

"...you may break into your groups now. I have booked the library for use for the hour and the computer lab as well, so use these resources wisely. Good luck."

The classroom burst into noise and students began to filter from the room to "work on their projects", ha, yeah right.

"So do you want to split up to divide and conquer or did you want to work together?" I looked up and swallowed nervously. Jackson stood beside my desk, holding a paper that held our assignment. With me sitting and him standing he towered over me.

"Uhm, I guess its up to you. What's the topic?" I asked in almost a whisper. 'What's wrong with you?! Grow a pair and speak up!' I thought angrily to myself with a mental bitch slap.

"We've got the Magna Carta Libertatum."

"Ok, well we have a week, so I think it'd be wise to work together so we can stay on the same page. It'll minimize confusion." I spoke louder and stood, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "And I think we should start in the library. I prefer to use Wikipedia as a last resort."

He shrugged and followed me out to the hallway. We walked side by side down the corridor in silence until he broke it.

"So... Your new. Where'd you move from?" He asked, not looking at me. It was obvious, he was feeling awkward. He wasn't used to slumming it with average people like me. I rolled my eyes.

"Washington state."

"Why here?" If it weren't for his curious tone, I would've thought it was an insult. But I kept cool.

"My foster parents couldn't handle me anymore, so they booted me out. So it was either a small family here in Beacon Hills or an old couple with seven little children on a farm out in Brawly. I picked the better of two evils." I shrugged. I refused to look him in the eye. I was afraid of what I'd see. Pity. Sadness. Whatever. I didn't need any of it.

"Where are your real parents?" He asked hesitantly. We had slowed to a crawl and were half way to the library. I sighed.

"They died when I was nine. I don't have any other family, so I was put into a foster system. I've been with four different families in the past eight years." He nodded, but kept quiet. We walked into the library and I immediately noticed two things. The room was empty and there was a huge camera near the ceiling to our right.

"So, where do we start?" Jackson asked, looking around.

"Ummm. Is there a 'law' section?" I asked.

*******************************************

The warning bell rang for second period. I sat at my desk in English 101 and waited for the class to start. I'd gotten to class early because Jackson and I had found diddly squat on Magna Carta in the library and I refused to resort to Wikipedia until I'd exhausted all other resources. So, after thirty minutes of scouring the schools library database for anything pertaining to Magna Carta, we gave up and went our separate ways after exchanging numbers. We each agreed to do some searching outside of school and if one of us found something, that person would notify the other via text.

I fiddled with a strand of hair, twirling it between my fingers, admiring the red tones it flashed in the light. But stopped quickly, remembering my mother. My mother had the same dark reddish brown hair. My nightmare flashed before my eyes. I gripped the sides of my desk tightly and tried to think of anything else. School. Magna Carta. Stiles. That did it. Stiles head popping out of the Jeep, a big grin plastered to his face. Stiles opening the door for me when I had had a mental lapse and was unable to figure out how to open it myself. I felt a smile creep up on me. And someone.

I whirled around. A boy with jet black hair and thick eyeliner on was taking a seat a few desks behind me. He glared at me and pulled out his ear buds.

"Can I help you?" He snapped. I swallowed hard and turned back to face the front again. Suddenly a hand crashed down on my shoulder, making me yelp in surprise.

"Whoa. Easy, Killer. It's just me." I looked over my shoulder to see Stiles sitting behind me. I let out a deep breath.

"Jesus! You scared the crap out of me!" I said, smiling like an idiot, in relief. He smirked.

"Your can call me Stiles." I reached back and punched him in the arm. "Ow! What was that for?" He pouted in mock anger.

"For being cocky." I turned around and sat back in my seat.

"Speaking of cocky, how was your research session with Jackson?" Stiles asked, flicking a lock of my hair off my shoulder. I shrugged.

"It was fine. We just couldn't find anything on our topic to save our lives."

"So what do you think of him?" I turned around to look at Stiles. His expression was one hundred percent serious. He looked like he was bracing himself for some kind of impact. Then it hit me. Stiles was worried that I had a crush on Jackson. I pulled my best poker face and shrugged.

"He's really hot," Stiles face fell just the tiniest bit. Then my facade cracked and I smiled. "But he's not my type." Stiles stared at me as if in shock.

"Wait... Not your type?! He's everybody's 'type'!" He said making air quotes with his fingers.

"Well, everyone else's type, but not mine." I turned around in my seat to the front as the teacher walked in. In that moment, I wished I could read minds.