Chapter Forty-Six: Long Distance Cousins.

Dedicated to mjxparker for the sick cover at the top! Thank you <3

Chapter Forty-Six: "Long Distance Cousins."

BEING HOME FOR ME came with the good and the bad. The good was the familiarity of my parents and everything the town I lived in came to be. I wasn't staying for long and this meant that my parents were going to soak up every chance they could to be with me. This meant driving to backyard events to see family and friends. 

When I started doing movies, their behavior towards me changed in a way that was subtle yet still obvious. That was the bad. Especially with the aunties, who love to dress, a quality I've embraced and inherited. Me being close by meant that they could take pictures with me for four hours straight.

My eyesight must have gotten worse with the number of flashes they loved using even during the daylight. But it meant good Nigerian food, catching up with the cousins my siblings and I heavily disliked and those we loved and hearing the gossip. Only one knows how much gossip gets tossed around at family junctions.

naomi:

thank god I'm not there.

Me:

Fuck off.

dumbass:

Wait, is uncle frank still wearing that toupee????

Glancing up at my uncle from my mom's side, I held in my laugh, taking a quick picture and sending it to them for Daniel's opinion.

dumbass:

It literally got worse.

naomi:

It's not even his hair type wtf. He looks like he got the worst perm.

Me:

You guys are worse than our aunties.

I felt someone approach me and I pulled on my fake smile before I realized it was my cousin, Lisa. "Hi!" I grinned, attacking her in a hug.

She laughed, instantly hugging me back but easing me as I looked down at her stomach. "Oh, my fu-" I caught myself before anyone noticed, my jaw hanging. "How many months?"

"Six."

"And you didn't tell me? Forget it, congrats!"

"I haven't seen you in so long. I didn't want to tell you this news over the phone."

"Talk to me, talk to me," I pulled her away from the bustle and movement of people in the backyard entering the house. She dragged me into an office space, beaming. "Well? The news. Who's the father? How did your mom take it? You're pregnant."

"Octavia."

"Sorry, sorry," I shook my head, sitting down in the spinning chair behind the desk and slouching in it. "You're fucking pregnant."

"Yes."

"What the fuck?"

"How many times are you going to swear? Yes, I'm pregnant. I had to beg everyone not to tell you. It's been so hard. You don't know the dad but he's a really nice guy."

"How did aunty take it?" I had to ask, leaning over in wary anticipation. Premarital pregnancy wasn't exactly favourable in our family.

Lisa rolled her eyes playfully, a hand to her stomach. "She's making us get married next year July."