Chapter 5

"...Oh, no, no, oh, no, no she's confident
oh, no, no, oh, no, no..."
~ Justin Bieber

......

"Summer, wake up," my mom groans for the hundredth time this morning. I roll around in my sheets, lazily covering my ears trying to block out her voice. "What is it with you and Alice this morning?"

I hear footsteps distancing and I sigh in relief. Moments later, I feel myself drifting back into a deep sleep but before I can fully fall asleep, I'm drenched in ice cold water. I shoot up in one move and wipe my face, "Mom!"

I hear her laugh, "It's not funny, I'm tired."

"We went to bed at ten yesterday. If you decided to stay up on your phone all night, that isn't my fault and that's not an excuse for not going to school," my mom scolds. I roll my eyes and groan taking off my sheets.

Is going out to kill someone an excuse to not go to school?  I wonder.

"Now, drying the mattress is your job and don't keep your bra on display like that," mom adds before leaving. I groan once again, this time louder.

I take my clothes off the teddy bear and throw them into the laundry basket inside my closet. I pick out a random outfit and take it into the bathroom with me.

Once I'm done my morning routine, I head downstairs and greet my parents. Right after sitting down, I start munching on my breakfast. Seconds later, Alice walks down the stairs. I can tell she didn't get enough sleep last night by the amount of concealer packed right beneath her eyes.

"Morning, Honey," my dad greets Alice. Alice waves her hand loosely, dismissing his greeting as she takes a seat.

"Okay, are we missing something?" Mom and dad look at each other, then at us. "Did you guys sneak out to a party last night? No lying allowed."

"No dad, we didn't. Alice... actually couldn't sleep all night because she misses her boyfriend from back home," I come up with the most believable excuse.

"Alice, you had a boyfriend?!" my dad asks baffled. Alice glares at me.

"It wasn't serious, I'll get over him." Before dad can say anything, Alice beats him. "Oh look at that, it's time to go," she abruptly gets up pulling me along with her.

"Bye!" We both throw over our shoulders as we exit the house.

......

Day two and still, Alice and I are left without any friends. I'm not so worried about me making friends as much as I'm worried about Alice making friends. I only have five more days before I lose my bet, so Alice needs friends to survive. For today though, I guess we'll just have to be alone.

"So are you sure you actually, you know?" Alice tries asking secretly as we walk to the cafeteria.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I slit his you know. I watched him go down."

"Oh, okay. Good... I guess," she replies awkwardly. The concept of killing is still new for Alice even though I've killed a couple of gang members back in her hometown.

We find an empty table in the middle of the cafeteria and take a seat. Alice takes out her lunch and I take out mine from my bag. We haven't seen any of the three boys at school which is pretty normal considering they need to fill the gap I created in their gang yesterday.

Just as I'm about to take a bite out of my sandwich, I spot Alice's annoyed expression directed behind me. I put my sandwich down. The familiar scent of his cologne gives him away before I even turn around.