Chapter TwentySix

Becca

Movement stirred me out of my sleep. I realised my head wasn't on a pillow, but on a firm chest instead. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and peered into dark brown ones.

Kayden stroked my arm. "Sorry. Didn't mean to wake you."

"It's alright. Morning."

"Morning." He puckered his lips and I gave him a quick peck. His hand shifted to my back and trailed his fingers in gentle circles. "You sleep okay?"

I nodded. "What about you?"

He shrugged. "Got a couple hours in."

"A couple?" Kayden sat up and stretched. I thought he was naked but saw the grey boxers as he stood from the bed and flexed his taut muscles. My eyes zeroed in on his abs, and suddenly I forgot the conversation.

"We're working the same shift today, init?"

The question snapped me out of my trance. "Aren't you still on compassionate leave?"

He shook his head. "Nathan said I can come in today for stock take."

I frowned. Kayden's barely had enough time to grieve properly. Did he really want to return to work so soon? "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. No point staying here getting pissed off all over again. I need to keep myself busy."

He had a point; sometimes being alone with your thoughts was more dangerous than anything else. I collapsed back on the bed. "I don't wanna go to work."

Kayden smiled. It was a genuine smile, as if the old him was back. I didn't think I'd see his chin dimple again so soon. "It's gonna be a calm day. Just count stock then we can leave."

I brought the covers up to my neck. "Your bed's comfy though." I felt weight on the bed and a rush of air as Kayden pulled the covers back.

"It's almost 12. You need to get up."

"Gimme 15 minutes."

"Or we can shower together."

A tingle shot straight to my stomach at the thought of us in the shower; our lips clashing and bodies entwined beneath the steamy water as Kayden's hands skimmed between my legs...

"No thanks. I'll go after."

"Cool. You've got fifteen minutes."

"Twenty."

His brows furrowed. "Ten."

I tutted and rolled over once he moved off the bed. He grabbed his towel and flung it over his shoulder as he left the room. I couldn't help the smile on my face as I watched him leave. There was a massive difference in Kayden's attitude compared to yesterday. I wasn't sure what had happened, but I wanted his good mood to last. Maybe he was right, keeping himself busy at work would do him some good...

Stock take wasn't as simple as Kayden made it seem. We shut the store early and gathered the items by category, then tallied the amount so that we could account for the next stock delivery. I'd never counted so much in my damn life, not even in maths class.

Most of the staff were in for a change, bar Stacey. I noticed employees I hadn't seen since my first day. We all took turns to calculate the items and made a note on the spreadsheet.

Kayden seemed to get on well. He took a more senior role and assisted Herman with the operational side of things. Seeing him in his element was refreshing; he would make a great supervisor.

I saw Nathan in the staffroom on my lunch break. He was eating food and watching football highlights on his phone.

I inhaled the wonderful smell. "Ugh, I love jollof."