Chapter Nine

The next day, I stretched with a yawn and almost fell off the bed. I checked my phone for any messages; only one showed from last night.

— I love the sound of ur voice. It's proper soothing

Sweet dreams 😌

I got up and went to the bathroom to start my day. Luckily, I had no plans during the day, and my illness seemed to have disappeared. By noon I was showered and dressed. I tied my hair back into a high ponytail and stilled at the sound of the doorbell.

I listened for any footsteps to answer the door but quickly remembered Kieran had already left the house, Dad was at work, and Andre was probably still asleep.

Slowly and begrudgingly, I trudged downstairs to answer the door. Brooklyn and Chris grinned when they saw me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Brooklyn stepped closer. "I told Chris you were ill yesterday. He wanted to check up on you."

I smiled at Chris. "Were you worried about me?"

He stepped inside and lifted me up into a bear-crushing hug. "Of course I was, man! You're never ill."

I patted his back. "I feel a lot better now."

He placed me back on the floor and ruffled my hair. "You look good."

"Thanks, cherry flake."

"You're welcome, blossom."

"You guys are weird, man." Brooks rolled her eyes and entered the house, shutting the door behind her. "Is anyone in?"

"Just me and Andre." I led them to my room. We got comfortable on my bed and Brooklyn flicked through channels on the TV.

I crossed my legs over Chris' lap. "Did I miss anything at sixth form?"

He shrugged. "Not really. Everything's just coursework."

"Speaking of coursework," Brooklyn chimed in, her eyes still focused on the TV, "Me and Chris did some more filming and edited most of it, so our project is almost finished."

"Aww, that's great." I high-fived Chris. "Thanks for picking up my slack."

Chris chuckled. "It's cool. I'm just a natural at acting."

My phone vibrated. I checked the message from Kayden:

— Hope you're feelin better today

I quickly replied:

— Yeah a little, thanks

I locked my phone. Kayden was being chattier than usual. I wasn't the type of person to text endlessly in front of company, though.

"Was that Kayden?" Brooklyn asked with a wry smile.

Chris raised a brow. "Who's Kayden?"

"Just a guy from work."

"A friend from work," Brooklyn corrected

Chris looked between Brooklyn and I, his expression growing suspicious. "You never mention this Kayden yout."

"Exactly, because he's not important," I answered.

"Because she's keeping him on the down-low until it's official."

I stared at Brooklyn. "What are you doing?"

She shrugged and crossed her legs. "Just tell the truth."

Chris whistled. "So what's the deal, then? You two dating?"

"I don't think you understand what a work colleague is."