Chapter One

It was a beautiful day. Cheers of delight rang through the church and cameras flashed in the distance. The unwavering attention didn't even matter; all I could do was stare into the eyes of the man I loved.

"We've come together in the presence of our creator and these witnesses to join these two in holy matrimony. This is a special time of celebration that the two of you will long remember, and because of this, we are grateful to share in your joy. Leon, do you have something you would like to say to Rebecca before we begin?"

Leon shook his head, his face just about visible through the ivory veil that covered my face.

"Rebecca, do you have anything to say to Leon before we begin?"

I shook my head and smiled, though I doubt Leon could see it.

"Marriage is a serious commitment meant for your welfare and enjoyment. Marriage also offers each of you the opportunity to grow together as a couple and as unique individuals. In each of you, God has planted an idea of how you would like to be treated in a loving marriage.

"This idea is a seed of desire that requires each of you to give to the other in consistent positive behaviour that reflects your desired results. If these solemn vows which you are about to make are kept faithfully, your marriage will surely prosper in all the goodness you both desire..."

The minister's voice became a murmur in the background as I peered into Leon's dark brown eyes, carrying the cheesiest smile on my face. I couldn't believe that this day had finally come.

"Please join hands," the minister instructed.

Our hands linked instantly. Goosebumps surfaced on my skin when his hands brushed mine. My palms were already sweaty from the nerves. Leon flashed a reassuring smile and squeezed my hands gently.

"Rebecca Stellon, do you take this man, Leon Richards, to be your lawfully wedded husband; and do you promise to love, honour, respect him, and comfort him, and keep him in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, keep thee only unto him for so long as you both shall live?"

I studied Leon for a few seconds. I was certain that I'd made the right decision. Once this day was over, there was no turning back. "I do," I muttered.

"Leon Richards, do you take this woman, Rebecca Stellon, to be your lawfully wedded wife; and do you promise to love, honour, respect her, and comfort her, and keep her in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, keep thee only unto her for so long as you both shall live?"

Leon's eyes searched mine. I could only guess he was having the same thoughts. His lips formed a joyful grin before proudly stating, "I do."

"I now with divine blessings and the power vested in me, joyfully pronounce you Husband and Wife. You may kiss the Bride."

Leon removed the veil from my face, still carrying that cheesy smile. I took in his handsome features and released a content sigh. He licked his lips and leaned closer until our lips joined...

My eyes flew open at my blaring ringtone. I groaned, annoyed that my dream was interrupted again—right at that crucial moment, too. I leaned up on my elbow, grabbed the phone, and answered the call from an unknown number.

"What?" I grunted.

Silence. Then I heard the person smile. "What's good? It's me."

I frowned at the unfamiliar voice. "Me who?"

He laughed. "The one you gave your number to last week."

I rolled my eyes and flopped back on the pillow. Now I remembered. A short, dark-skinned guy had approached me when I was heading to the corner shop. Even though I told him I wasn't interested, he insisted I took his number anyway. He even called to check the number was correct. As a girl, you feel pressured to give in since guys are crazy. Even so, I didn't think he'd actually be brave enough to call me again since I was so rude to him.