Chapter ThirtyEight

Kayden

The sound of passing cars outside caused me to wake up the following morning. Took me a minute to remember where I actually was. I yawned and stretched as I viewed my surroundings. Once my eyes had cleared properly, I analysed the room I had slept in. Aaliyah had a lot going on right now; I scanned the pictures on her wall and all the plants and good furniture. She was doing well on her own, looking after her family and that. I always knew Aaliyah would become independent, it was inevitable.

I remember how fragile she used to be, and now she's managed to turn her life around in a matter of months. She no longer needed to depend on me. I sat up on the sofa and yawned again. No wonder I could hear the cars, the window was left open from last night.

I peered at the clock on the wall for the time. One-thirty-five pm.

There came a knock on the door. I sat up fully, knowing who it was.

"Can I come in?" Aaliyah asked from the other side.

"It's your flat."

She laughed and opened the door; emerging in her purple silk dressing gown and carrying two mugs of hot chocolate. The sight of her was stunning, I found myself staring. She was beautiful. I cleared my throat and turned away to distract myself. She sat beside me and I noticed her bare thigh as her gown hitched up a fraction. She was completely naked beneath the gown. She handed me a mug and smiled.

"Thanks, Li."

"Don't mention it." She reached over me to get hold of the Sky remote. The feel of her breasts brushing my chest caused me to stiffen. I haven't felt another girl's body close to mine in a good year. I was horny half the time, and wanted nothing more than to be close to Ree right now, but it wasn't possible.

Once she had the remote she turned the TV on and tucked her legs beneath herself, sipping at her drink. She found an appropriate channel and became engrossed. I realised she wasn't with Janai. Not even gonna lie, the sight of her little sister yesterday left me speechless. I had remembered Aaliyah telling me about her mother's pregnancy before I left for all those months. Time definitely flew by. She was something else though, looked just like her mum.

"Where's Janai?" I asked.

"Sleeping at the moment."

I nodded and rested my leg on her lap. She laughed and pinched my foot, so I gave her a stern look.

"Ey, never pinch a man's foot," I warned.

"Sorry boss."

I smirked and relaxed, using Li as a foot rest. I took more sips of the hot chocolate and sighed; it was like sex to my tongue. Drinking this reminded me of Sunday mornings back at mine. Mum would always make fresh pancakes for me and Zaine when we were younger, along with the sexiest hot chocolate. I tried my hardest not to think of my family though, sometimes it was too painful. I missed them regardless, especially mum. I was glad I saw Zaine yesterday, even though he watched me like I was a reincarnation of his worst fear. I couldn't even begin to picture my mum's reaction. Sometimes being nostalgic had its cons, so I just get on with life without much thought. There was silence as I watched the screen absentmindedly.

"It's been hard, Kayden." I looked at Aaliyah, who had been staring at me the entire time.

"What do you mean?"

"Without you around for so long, it was hard to cope." She frowned slightly and I sat upright.

"You managed fine. Look, you've even got your own yard."

"I know, but I missed this: us. Just being together and having a good time."

I fell silent. Me and Aaliyah have always been together from a young age. Our families have been close since day one, and because of that, so were we. Went to the same nursery, school, and secondary. Eventually we drifted apart, but I could never forget the good times. She was my first.