Chapter Nineteen

Becca

The ticking clock echoed in my ears as the sound bounced around my silent room. I sat with my back against the headboard, knees up to my chest, staring at the broken glass in my hand. The last of my mother's smile. This was all that was left. Everything else had been swept up and thrown away.

In a mere second, Shanay had shattered what was left between us. I had no idea what possessed her to do something so cruel. The Shanay I knew would never go to such lengths out of pettiness and spite. We had fallen out, but this was no excuse. I would never do something so disgusting and vindictive, and she knew that.

I wrapped the shard of glass in tissue and placed it in the top drawer. It didn't feel like a whole day had passed since the incident, probably because all I've done is sit here and think about the events that took place. It also caused me to reminisce about my childhood, which led to me feeling mildly depressed. I was quickly reminded that whatever wonderful moments I shared with my mum ... I could never get back.

It also resulted in me feeling angry. Angry that she was no longer here. Angry that I still had to suffer this heartache. Angry that Shanay had the fucking audacity to do what she did. My emotions were in a frenzy but had boiled down to sheer resentment and fury in a matter of minutes. Even 24 hours later, I found it hard to keep calm. It didn't help that the scene replayed in my head in a constant loop: the wicked glint in Shanay's eyes, her mocking words, the devastating crash of the glass, the tense atmosphere—everything.

There was no way she would get away with this. I would pay her back in kind. And not just her, either. She hadn't been the only one to make a mockery out of me. In fact, I had a list of people so far:

1. Shanay
2. Leon
3. Olivia
4. The fat kid who hit me in the head with the ball

Okay, the last one was a stretch, but the other three were valid. So far the list was very brief, but who knows? I was extremely on edge, so people needed to stay out of my way. Especially as I'm not tied down with the bet anymore.

My phone buzzed and I checked the caller ID. I couldn't remember the last time I'd spoken to Drake but I definitely wasn't in the mood for a conversation. I busied the call and turned my phone off. The last thing I needed was human interaction. Thankfully, everyone else from yesterday had given me space without me having to ask for it. They already knew how I was.

I laid on my side and stared at the wall, thinking about the red haze that enveloped my vision right before I attacked Shanay. I thought I'd experienced true rage before, but this was something different. Something much more intense. I didn't even have control of my own body, which was frightening to think about, although she deserved it.

There was a knock at the door. Kieran popped his head through despite the lack of invitation. "We're going to uncle Richard's for a bit." I stared at him blankly. "Kayden's waiting outside. Should I tell him to go?"

I shook my head.

He said his goodbyes before shutting the door. I heard a load of footsteps and doors shutting and closed my eyes, feeling drowsy from the overbearing emotions and lack of sleep.

I sensed him before I even heard him. Kayden entered my room and I heard a shuffling of clothes as he removed his hoody and kicked off his trainers. Then he climbed into bed behind me and wrapped his arms around my torso, pulling me closer and nestling his face into my nape. I instantly relaxed.

It was strange, but I missed him and I was glad he came back so soon. Truthfully, he was probably the only one who could keep me sane right now. Yesterday, he told me what he'd witnessed; he saw a crowd of people leaving as he approached my house and the front door was left open. That was when he entered and saw me crouched on the floor staring at the broken glass. I explained the situation in as few words as possible, still numb from the events that took place. He didn't probe or give any kind of reaction, he just stayed right there with me and left early in the morning. And now, a few hours later, he was back.