Chapter TwentySeven

Becca

He advanced towards me, a cool yet sinister aura permeating the air. Leon looked smug, as if he finally had me where he wanted me. He was the predacious lion, and I was the frightened, cornered mouse.

My eyes darted around the dimly lit room for any potential weapons but there were none. The music vibrated from the hall, raucous chatter and laughter drifting through the gaps in the door—a complete opposite to the mood in this tiny box room.

Our eyes caught again. The last time we'd been in the same room, Leon was crawling back on his haunches, blood pouring from his leg as he tried to escape. Now, he had a confident air about him as he observed me, his eyes pinning me to the spot.

"Not happy to see me?" he asked, shaking his head in mock disappointment. "Then why did you come?"

"What do–...?" The question died in my throat when it registered whose party this was.

Drake's mention of the event came to mind: "My boy's celebrating coming out of hospital. It was a close call..."

I shook my head. Who would've thought Drake knew my ex, and they were both involved with Olivia at some point? And I was the reason for his 'close call'. "Fuck," I muttered.

Leon's chuckle was humourless. "What's wrong, Beccs?"

The familiarity he spoke with made me feel ill. I couldn't avert his gaze; I couldn't do anything. I was helpless, trapped in this box room with someone who had every intention of hurting me.

The tables hadn't just turned, they'd flipped. Leon's eyes were cold and empty—lifeless. It was a clear sign he had changed, brimming with murderous intent. And who could blame him? I'd left him to bleed out. I put him in the hospital.

There was no way out of this one.

"Speak then," he insisted coolly as he stepped even closer. We were a few inches apart now. I flinched when his hand brushed through my hair. It was a tender touch, a sick juxtaposition to the violent energy he exuded. "Or are you scared?"

I didn't respond.

Leon hummed and twirled my hair around his index. "Did you miss me?"

My brows crinkled. If he thought I could ever miss him he was even more delusional than I thought.

"I missed you," he said when I didn't answer. "Even though you fucked me over I still thought about you, y'know." He leaned in and took a deep inhale. "You still smell good."

Leon had me caged between his arms. There was nowhere for me to go. This room held a chest of drawers and a dusty black leather chair. There was no window. My eyes looked past him to the door, willing someone to come in and see this. To rescue me.

"No-one's coming," he said, as if reading my thoughts. "I told Drake we're catching up."

I looked him in the eye, conveying all my hatred in my glare alone.

"He didn't know we had history." Leon smirked. "He said we can take as long as we want."

"I'll scream," I told him.

He cocked his head. "What for? We're just chatting." He caressed my cheek lightly with his fingers. Each feather-light touch was nauseating. "You haven't changed," he whispered, running hands down my arm and waist till he reached my bare thigh. I watched his hand's ministrations, waiting.

Any minute now...

"I had a whole plan, y'know," he said, still stroking my skin. "I was thinking about how I could get to you so we could sort things out and start again."