Chapter Three

The sun shone through the gaps in the blinds and roused me out of sleep. I checked the time on my phone: 7:17am. I scowled when I realised it was Monday, my least favourite day of the week. Normally I'd have a lie-in and go to sixth form in the afternoon, but today was the first day of my new job in retail, so I had to get up.

I sat up with a stretch and let out a yawn. I couldn't remember what time I fell asleep. Leon stayed for most of the evening and we watched movies. We resolved everything, and I promised him I wouldn't jump to conclusions anymore. Everything after that was a blur. I sighed and got out of bed, reluctant to start my day.

Annoyingly, Kieran had beaten me to the shower. I banged on the door.

"What?" Kieran's hollow voice came from the other side.

"Hurry up. I've got work."

"Whatever, man. I'll be out soon."

But I knew Kieran; he bathed way longer than necessary, and he would definitely make me late today.

I padded downstairs to the kitchen and stood by the tap, peeping at the time on my phone again: 7:24am. I counted down from 10 and turned the cold faucet on the tap, letting the water run. Then I listened.

Kieran's girlish screams thundered upstairs. I smiled.

***

Brixton high street was surprisingly quiet for a Monday morning. My stomach rumbled as I passed McDonald's. I would've gone inside if I wasn't running so late. Kieran tried to fight me for ruining his shower, so I had to skip out on breakfast.

I checked my watch and picked up my pace. Today I would start my job as a sales associate in Footlocker—right in the heart of Brixton. The commute to work was a 15-minute walk from my house, yet somehow I was rushing. It made no sense.

I crossed the road and looked back at McDonald's, envious of the people walking in. I tore my gaze away and continued my journey. Maybe afterwards I could treat myself to a Big Mac, although, I could really go for some breakfast right now...

I felt a vibration in my pocket and checked my phone. I had two messages; both of them made me smile.

— Hey girl! Good luck on ur first day. Sneak me a pair of those white and green Huaraches ok? Size 4 pls
Thanks! 😘

Shanay

I laughed. There was no way in hell I'd ever sneak out a pair on my first day. And if I ever did, it would be for myself. I opened the next message.

— Have fun on ur first day Beccs. Wishing u luck, God bless u! xx

Brooklyn

I laughed at the contrast in messages. Brooklyn was another good friend of mine; she was the closest thing I had to a pastor. I've never known someone to be as religious as her, but her strong faith was admirable. I made a mental note to tell her about the Leon fiasco. Maybe she could give a fresh perspective on the entire ordeal—

I bumped into something stiff and cursed to myself. I looked up to see I had collided with a guy.

"My bad," I said, about to walk around him. A firm hand grabbed my arm, causing me to still. I glanced back at the hand, which belonged to the same tall black boy who was wearing a Footlocker shirt identical to mine.

"The doors are closed," he said.

I looked at him, down to his clutch on my arm, then back at him.

He noticed the gesture and released my arm, sticking his hands in his pockets instead. "Sorry."